Using PMs as a ticket system - auto-closing and closing reminders

Hi all

I have two questions if that’s OK, relating to PMs.

We use PMs as part of a support system, tied in with staging emails. So a user can email a set support@ email address which is fed into a group PM with the support team. It works really well for us.

1. Is there a way to set an auto-close on these PMs like you can with categories? We typically set it so it closes x days after the last reply, but currently doing this manually.

2. Are we able to do a reminder before the PM is closed (e.g. “This thread will close in 48 hours, please reply if you want to keep it open”)?

If it’s not possible as is, that’s no problem - just thought I’d ask! The wider site is a support site, but the PMs are for more individual support relating to accounts.

2 Likes

Hi @Parker1090. :wave:

Hey, that’s cool! :+1:

We use Discourse for our support inbox as well, and I’ve had various inboxes in Discourse over the years, so I’m fairly confident it is not currently possible to automate closing PMs in this way.

However, please share more details about your objective, there may be another approach.

For instance, it seems you want those discussions to definitely end at some point, but it is not apparent to me why. Let us know. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You could do this outside of Discourse with webhooks. I’d recommend a platform like n8n or Airtable to receive the webhooks, then create an automation to send an API request to close the topic at a time interval of your choosing (eg a relative time of 30 days).

We don’t close topics like this, but we do many other automations outside of Discouse similar to this, and we get around these limitations often by sending webhooks out and API calls back in.

3 Likes

Hi Mathew,

If your self hosted Richard has a plugin called Private Topics that may help to accomplish what your looking for. Each Op in a configured category can only see their topic with a configured group. So you can use the category settings like auto close topic

1 Like