Vagrant based server failing on db:migrate


(Ken Cooper) #1

I just ran through the instructions in the developer guide to install an environment using a virtual machine with vagrant I found here.

In my newly created instance, after a bundle update, updating the database with rake like so

bundle exec rake db:migrate

generates the following error:

rake aborted!
NameError: uninitialized constant SiteSettings::DbProvider::RailsMultisite
/vagrant/lib/site_settings/db_provider.rb:52:in `current_site'
/vagrant/lib/site_setting_extension.rb:44:in `current'
/vagrant/lib/site_setting_extension.rb:96:in `block in setting'
/vagrant/lib/site_setting_extension.rb:93:in `synchronize'
/vagrant/lib/site_setting_extension.rb:93:in `setting'
/vagrant/lib/site_setting_extension.rb:151:in `client_setting'
/vagrant/app/models/site_setting.rb:18:in `block in load_settings'
/vagrant/lib/site_settings/yaml_loader.rb:29:in `block (2 levels) in load'
/vagrant/lib/site_settings/yaml_loader.rb:20:in `each'
/vagrant/lib/site_settings/yaml_loader.rb:20:in `block in load'
/vagrant/lib/site_settings/yaml_loader.rb:19:in `each_key'
/vagrant/lib/site_settings/yaml_loader.rb:19:in `load'
/vagrant/app/models/site_setting.rb:16:in `load_settings'
/vagrant/app/models/site_setting.rb:25:in `<class:SiteSetting>'
/vagrant/app/models/site_setting.rb:4:in `<top (required)>'
/vagrant/config/initializers/04-message_bus.rb:39:in `<top (required)>'
/var/lib/gems/2.2.0/gems/railties-4.2.4/lib/rails/engine.rb:652:in `block in load_config_initializer'
/var/lib/gems/2.2.0/gems/activesupport-4.2.4/lib/active_support/notifications.rb:166:in `instrument'
/var/lib/gems/2.2.0/gems/railties-4.2.4/lib/rails/engine.rb:651:in `load_config_initializer'
/var/lib/gems/2.2.0/gems/railties-4.2.4/lib/rails/engine.rb:616:in `block (2 levels) in <class:Engine>'
/var/lib/gems/2.2.0/gems/railties-4.2.4/lib/rails/engine.rb:615:in `each'
/var/lib/gems/2.2.0/gems/railties-4.2.4/lib/rails/engine.rb:615:in `block in <class:Engine>'
/var/lib/gems/2.2.0/gems/railties-4.2.4/lib/rails/initializable.rb:30:in `instance_exec'
/var/lib/gems/2.2.0/gems/railties-4.2.4/lib/rails/initializable.rb:30:in `run'
/var/lib/gems/2.2.0/gems/railties-4.2.4/lib/rails/initializable.rb:55:in `block in run_initializers'
/var/lib/gems/2.2.0/gems/railties-4.2.4/lib/rails/initializable.rb:44:in `each'
/var/lib/gems/2.2.0/gems/railties-4.2.4/lib/rails/initializable.rb:44:in `tsort_each_child'
/var/lib/gems/2.2.0/gems/railties-4.2.4/lib/rails/initializable.rb:54:in `run_initializers'
/var/lib/gems/2.2.0/gems/railties-4.2.4/lib/rails/application.rb:352:in `initialize!'
/var/lib/gems/2.2.0/gems/railties-4.2.4/lib/rails/railtie.rb:194:in `public_send'
/var/lib/gems/2.2.0/gems/railties-4.2.4/lib/rails/railtie.rb:194:in `method_missing'
/vagrant/config/environment.rb:5:in `<top (required)>'
/var/lib/gems/2.2.0/gems/railties-4.2.4/lib/rails/application.rb:328:in `require_environment!'
/var/lib/gems/2.2.0/gems/railties-4.2.4/lib/rails/application.rb:457:in `block in run_tasks_blocks'
Tasks: TOP => db:migrate => environment
(See full trace by running task with --trace)

I cloned the github repo from the instructions, and it’s pristine. Is this a bug? Any thoughts on what I’m doing wrong?


Rails Multisite still breaking build
Discourse as Your First Rails App
(Discourse.PRO) #2

Yes, the same as Upgrade failed after the recent today's commits: «cannot load such file -- rails_multisite»


(Ken Cooper) #3

Thanks, Dmitry. This didn’t show up in my googling. I’ll use sunsijie’s workaround.


(Ken Cooper) #4

Hmm… no joy. The gem was already in my Gemfile, and the chmod had no positive impact (it wasn’t readable by all, FWIW).

Any more thoughts on this?


(Kane York) #5

I solved this by basically wiping all my installed gems and reinstalling all of them. It’s possible you have a bad copy of something. I have no idea what it is, though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯


(Simon Cossar) #6

I just tried running rake db:migrate on the Vagrant image on a mac and got the same results you are getting.

You might try using the setup outlined in this article for Development. It’s working well.


(Ken Cooper) #7

Thanks, Simon. I’ll try that out.


(Matt Palmer) #8

I’ve tracked down the problem: the rails_multisite gem has restrictive permissions on some of the files, and so the vagrant user can’t read them (and hence can’t load the code).

While @sam is unavailable to make a new (fixed) release of rails_multisite, the simplest workaround is to run the following:

sudo chmod -R a+r /var/lib/gems/2.2.0/gems/rails_multisite-1.0.2

That’ll fix the permissions and you’ll be off and running.


(Christopher Heald) #9

As of October 23, you’ll need to bump up the rails_multisite version:

sudo chmod -R a+r /var/lib/gems/2.2.0/gems/rails_multisite-1.0.2

(Sam Saffron) #10