Video thumbnails issue

Hi,
It seems that the official Mux Video Plugin doesn’t support thumbnails - and YouTube/Vimeo videos have nice thumbnails.

What is the most correct way to fix it?
Should I look in plugin logic or is there any thumbnail generator for the topics that can be triggered?

It was my long pause here…
Thank you!

Hi :wave:t3:

Dylan here from Mux. First time I’m seeing this Mux plugin. It looks like from poking around the repo that it uses Hls.js.

It should be a relatively straight forward lift to switch the player to Mux Player

That would give you the nice feature of timeline hover previews without any extra work. I’m not familiar with Discourse plugins, but happy to help get Mux Player integrated.

4 Likes

Hi Dylan,
Thank you for the answer and for the answer, yeah - Mux Player is the best option as we are making strong use of the Mux in our current video-related community (including live-videos at some later stage).

I will try to get it supported and fork/PR the plugin.

2 Likes

During the first quick attempts, I failed to integrate Mux Player instead of Hls.js.
Will try again next week.

<script src="https://cdn.jsdelivr.net/npm/@mux/mux-player"></script>

seems to give some conflicts

1 Like

What error/conflicts are you running into?

Here’s a simple example on Codesandbox with the hosted <script> tag

Also, mux-player can be installed with npm/yarn: @mux/mux-player

1 Like

Unfortunately, I see that I don’t have enough time to support fork later - so I will try to get thumbnails working with existing Discourse Video Plugin.
But thank you for your idea!

1 Like

Hey guys,

Did anyone manage to switch to Mux Player for this plugin? Just installed it and it works fantastic but there are no thumbnail previews. Cheers

@Dylan, are you interested in developing the plugin into making the player similar to that of tiktok or instagram for example and have some other social media type of functions like watermark with username, change of audio etc?

Do you mean there are no thumbnails that show up when using something like: Topic List Previews Theme Component?

The videos themselves show a thumbnail with the play button.

Users get this thumbnail preview

Any suggestion?