View streak progress view in user profile

Yes, but you have to then keep that up for an entire year. That’s a lot of work! :sweat:

1 Like

True. For me I’m only on 3 forums that I visit anyways so it’s not work for me really.

Oh, okay. That’s fair enough.

1 Like

To me there is a huge difference between opening a browser on a website, and actually consuming content / contributing to a site.

To me these two markers / badges / progress tracked events are far more interesting

• Visited site 20 days a month for 15 minute visits.
  • Visited site 200 days a year for 15 minute visits.

Of course a lot of this will depend on Discourse defining what it means to have a “substantial/positive” visit, vs simply opening a web page on a site.

I don’t want to refine and optimize our devotee badge design pattern prior to thinking about a healthy metric to be tracking that encourages the healthy async computing behavior.

6 Likes

A few years ago I got the devotee badge in the forum I moderate, and I didn’t(thankfully) lose my sanity. The badge was earned naturally through daily participation and I didn’t even realize I hit the mark when I was granted the badge. But I agree, I have people on my forum who took one day off and DM’ed me complaining that they lost the “streak” for the badge.

Yeah. The problem with the give out x amount of likes badge is it promotes a lot of users in “liking” content that’s not necessarily useful/helpful just to achieve it. The badge should be able to be earned in a natural way. If you’re generally active(and being useful) for one year, the badge should be given.

4 Likes

Yeah, that approach is a whole lot better.

It doesn’t have to be done right now, but the “Devotee” badge definitely needs some refining in order for it to make sense.

That’s also what has happened on the forums I’ve been on. The only way users ever earn the badge is by liking as many random topics/replies as they can.

1 Like

I think if we do change it to something like that we should do 2 things differently. Make it 10 min a day at the most and if you post it does not matter how much you read.

Wouldn’t that possibly result in users constantly posting topics/replies that are pointless/low-effort?

1 Like

True. Mabey if its above x number of characters and it isn’t flagged and a mod agrees it wouldn’t count.

What do you mean by the “mod agrees” part? Would they have to manually approve it every single time?

If the post gets flagged and a mod agrees with the flag it won’t count towards your visit streak.

Ah, okay. That could definitely work.

But then you’d have to rely on your users to catch every single one of them, That could become exhausting very quickly.

1 Like

I’m, not a mod on any forum but from what I have seen low quality posts always get flagged and a mod would take it down anyways so I don’t think it’s that much of an issue.

Yeah, maybe you’re right.

1 Like

I think the thinking here is far too rigid for sites that are about entertainment, where you readily binge shows and really want to be at the Cheers bar every day, versus sites that are work-centric. There needs to be a ‘skip weekends’ global site setting for this kind of thing IMO. There is no “one size fits all” here. It does not exist.

4 Likes

Do you personally think that should be on by default? Regardless, I agree with your take.