Voice recording plugin

Love this plugin and its potential but not able to get working on mobile. I’m on an iPhone 8 Plus. Here is a screen recording. In short, I can press record and stop then nothing happens. This is the opposite of the behavior on desktop which works fine each time I test.

Any ideas on what’s causing this?

Tried forking it myself and updating the code. The RecordRTC.js and RecordRTC.min.js were/are silly outdated. Sadly, this didn’t fix the mobile issue. Here is the repo if anyone wants to take a crack at it.

2 Likes

Everyone on Meta: This doesn’t work on iPhone, help!
Microm’s Documentation: Am I a joke to you??

No idea how I missed this yesterday… oh, wait…

Propose moving to /broken-plugin as OP hasn’t replied to a single person in over 12 months and has now wasted hundreds of hours in other people’s time.

All in favor?

1 Like

FYI I posted this to @angus pavilion site, to see if they’d be interested in picking it up if @pawel is not able to maintain it anymore. Maybe everyone here interested in it can join that discussion and see about contributing to making it happen.

I’d suggest we not move it to #plugin:broken-plugin just yet - I don’t think the plugin is entirely broken as it is and I do use it for my personal site already. But you are right it has a few fatal flaws that make it hard to deploy in a real community. Your bug report about it not working on iphone is one of them - I just replicated the bug on my site.

2 Likes

You’re the man @tobiaseigen! Thank you!!

Will join in over there.

1 Like

Hey, I’m bit of into other stuff right now, but will get back to the topic of this plugin.

Best

5 Likes

Cool! Glad to hear from you. Do you welcome pull requests for your plugin to fix some bugs and bring it up to date?

1 Like

Sure, just ping me when creating a PR.

1 Like

Thanks! I really appreciate it. The PRs wouldn’t be from me but rather from @angus or someone else from Orphaned voice recording plugin? - Projects - Pavilion

3 Likes

Okay, I’ll try to find some time to review the issues and maybe develop a few new functionalities in the coming weeks.

4 Likes

I’m so glad I found this plugin but I’m also hesitant to install it until there can be third-party hosting of recordings. Ideally there could be connectivity options to link it with a Google Drive, Dropbox, Vocaroo, or some other third party site in addition to self-hosting, but third party hosting would be especially beneficial for hosted communities that do not have a large amount of storage space. Looking forward to any future updates to this app and thanks Pawel for making it!

1 Like

Hi Jimmy! Welcome. I’m glad you are also interested in this plugin. There’s a bit of discussion about third party hosting above, but I honestly disagree that it is a high priority or even relevant for this particular plugin.

Maybe if enough people want it you can work on a different plugin, to work with Speakpipe or some other cloud based audio sharing site?

For this plugin, I think the priority should be to add an admin setting to limit the length of recordings. That way the file size won’t be too burdensome to store or play back, and the site won’t be littered with long meandering recordings nobody listens to. :wink:

Meanwhile there is the ability to host attachments externally already (this is baked into discourse - see enable s3 uploads admin setting). But it is indeed not suitable for streaming content.

I’m curious, why not?

I’ve seen conversations here about limitations around streaming video etc hosted on discourse but am not immediately finding them. :wink: Maybe somebody else can provide an answer while I dig a bit.

My own instinct is that smaller files are not a problem but when you get into the neighborhood of hours of movies, you want to move your content to a cloud streaming service like vimeo or youtube, and then provide a oneboxed view from within discourse posts to let people watch it without leaving the forum.

Isn’t the plugin here for voice recording?

A mono mp3 audio should be mostly under 10MB (10 minutes of mono audio at 44.1kHz/16bit/96kbps is 7.2MB), so it will be kinda like a large GIF and can certainly be used in conjunction with Object Storage (S3) plus a CDN.

3 Likes

Ah, we’re talking about the same thing. Apologies for being confusing.

People are coming in and advocating for third party hosting of audio recordings, and I am saying no we don’t need to worry about that for precisely the reason you give. Storing and playing back a small file is no problem.

However, currently this plugin allows people to start a recording and let it go indefinitely, which then fails upon save if they talked for too long and try to save a file size larger than allowed by the server.

3 Likes

Like Tobias mentioned here, this plugin has a number of important problems (mainly mobile issues and the lack of a timer or feedback while it’s saving the recording).

I’d love to see a native alternative approach. For me, the simplest option to allow my users to record and share audio is to use a service like Clyp. It provides 360 minutes in the free plan and it gives you a direct link you can paste in Discourse (thanks to the magic of OneBox)

The only downside is that it doesn’t record on the iPad (you can only upload the audio file).

Other options for recording online in case people find them useful:

• Poodll - Downside: it only stores the files for 30 days
  • VirtualSpeech: Online Voice Recorder - Downside: it doesn’t work on the iPad. On Android, it gives you .oga files, which don’t autoplay in Discourse (although .ogg files do. This might be a bug)
1 Like

It should be possible to adapt this theme component to work for audio recording. Javascript microphone access is supported on almost all browsers which Discourse supports (except IE11). That would be a fully-native approach, and would not require a plugin.

6 Likes

Hi @david! That would be pretty great. Being able to record audio, video, and screen all would be super handy, especially if it can be done natively and in an official theme component so it doesn’t get in the way of other functionality and is maintained. @pawel what are your thoughts?

@pawel I’d suggest you update the OP to make clear that you are not going to add support for third party audio recording services to this plugin… people keep asking for it. I see it’s a wiki so let me know if you want me to edit it for you.

@Nacho_Caballero it’s great that you are interested in this too but I hope you can come around to the idea of staying away from third party hosting services, as discussed above. If not, please start a new topic.

4 Likes

@tobiaseigen I would much prefer a native solution, so no objections from me there :blush:

@david your approach seems very interesting, I hope you pursue it. To avoid cluttering the UI, it would probably make sense to add an option to define which of the three recording modes is available (audio, video or screen). Does the current approach work with mobile/iOS?

2 Likes