Warn admins/tl4 when replying to closed topics

Admin Warnings Theme Component

https://github.com/davidtaylorhq/discourse-admin-warnings

When admins click ‘reply’ on a closed topic, they will be warned. This helps to prevent admins accidentally continuing a closed/archived discussion (much to the frustration of other forum users!).

Warning text is configurable as a theme setting.

To install, follow the instructions here:

30 Likes

Thanks! Very useful!

Is there an easy way to extend this so the alert pop up pops up when highlight-quote replying too? I think it goes straight to the reply box as is.

Awesome thanks!

Just capturing this here so someone capable of helping to implement might see it:

That would be great too! If added, maybe this can be renamed or merged into a more general warn-admins theme component for a range of (maybe selectable?) warnings for cases where admins do things in non-admin spaces that would not be allowed were they not admins.

1 Like

Maybe the code isn’t set right, but when I try to import this theme-component, it only imports as a full theme and isn’t selectable as a component for other themes…

2 Likes

If you scroll back up to the original post you’ll see that Discourse automatically lists replies or topics which link in:

Yep, it needs to be updated to support a change from the summer. For now you can use the convert button. I will submit a PR for it now though.

4 Likes

I’ve submitted a PR, but looking back @Johani actually already submitted this PR which does the same thing:

https://github.com/davidtaylorhq/discourse-admin-warnings/pull/1

9 Likes

My bad, I completely missed your PR @Johani - sorry! The change is now merged, thanks @Stephen

10 Likes

Hi David will this also warn Leader Level 4 users when replying to closed topics?

Yes, it should do - it will notify anyone who tries to reply to a closed topic. I probably should have chosen a better name for the component…

6 Likes

Awesome thanks this will work very nicely as we often have elevated users replying to a closed Topic. Thank you for your excellent plugin!

3 Likes

I think this may need to be updated? (Stopped working after an update but didn’t catch which particular one).

1 Like

I am running latest test passed Discourse and this component is still working.

Are you running the beta maybe?