Warning on @mentions and security permissions

Hi, today I was demoing Discourse for a colleague. I was @mentioning her in a test Category where she didn’t have access. We were quite confused why she wasn’t seeing them. Then I fixed the permissions and then all was fine. Is there a bug here? Or is it a feature request that there’s notice the @mention won’t be received?

1 Like

Seems like a regression of some sort. As I can verify it happens on an older version of Discourse. But it doesn’t happen here at Meta.

3 Likes

Could indeed be a regression due to the recent work on the composer.

Added to my list :memo:.

3 Likes

Hmm, no, I’ve seen the warning popup recently (in a PM, though), so I know it is working in PMs at least.

That could be. I noticed it working on Sitepoint in restricted categories, but it doesn’t work here in a restricted category (I tried two of them)

I tried to reproduce this bug but by now it seems to be working fine. Perhaps you mentioned your colleague when creating a new topic, @outofthebox? Mention warnings are working only when writing replies, they weren’t supported for the new topic/message posts from the start.

4 Likes

Hi, @maja, great insight. Yes, it was an @mention in a new Topic. I can see that behavior today - @mentioning someone, in a new Topic, with permissions in a Category where they don’t have access doesn’t provide a warning dialogue box.

I understand the specific focus of this feature better now. Thank you.

1 Like