"You've notified but they can't see" message pops up too soon

When replying to a topic in a restricted category, Discourse (very intelligently) shows you a warning if you @-mention someone who won’t be able to see the topic. It does, however, seem to be a little eager in doing so. For example, if you type @christine, it’ll warn you that she can’t participate – even if you’re just about to finish typing @christinejones, who can.

I think this is tied to the autocomplete popup appearing – the warning banner appears at roughly the same time.

One way to fix this would be to not show this warning until you enter a terminating character – a piece of punctuation or whitespace.

6 Likes

Yeah possibly, I have run into this as well. Any suggestions @cpradio?

3 Likes

Agree, this happens to me regularly.

The simple fix fails though cause it would not show the warning when I type @barryvan

Maybe simplest is to bypass the check when “autocomplete” is open OR “autocomplete” was displayed in last 2 seconds.

3 Likes

Could a newline not be considered a terminating character? Although that still wouldn’t resolve people leaving trailing @-mentions at the end of posts. (Although you could argue that such people are truly, truly awful :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:!)

The autocomplete fix sounds like it could work well, but I imagine it’d be a bit more complex under the hood.

3 Likes

I believe you fixed this @sam?

1 Like

Yes this is fixed, there is a 2 second delay

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.