Watching and tracking implementation for tags and categories

Because a user can override a specific topic

Watch #bug but mute a particular bug

7 Likes

I see. I guess there’s have to be a nil or default topic tracking state to know when to fall back on the category or tag preference.

It’s a bit hard to tell without the migration you mention, but so far this seems to be just right.

I look forward to a migration that will set the new style tracking state, so I can finish testing this out.

2 Likes

This sounds terrific, @sam! It sounds like this change is what the mailing list crowd was asking for.

What Discourse version is this change on?

I’m not sure how to transition, though. Would we need a script that removes and re-adds all users’ watched categories?

Edit: do these changes impact the watching/tracking states of Group PMs?

A migration is quite risky here, I am worried about adding it and its just for an edge case.

The edge case we are not handling now is:

• User visits topic X in category Y
  • User watches category Y
  • Topic X is not watched
  • Admin upgrades Discourse
  • topic X is still not watched

However this works just fine

• User never visited topic X in category Y
  • User watches category Y
  • topic X is watched

@alehandrof this is in latest beta, I would not worry about transition edge cases you can deal with them on a case by case basis imo. This has no impact on group PMs

1 Like

What if:

• User watches category Y (because I have that as the site default for users)
  • User visits topic X in category Y
  • Topic X is not watched (in other words, they took no action while viewing it)

Would topic X still be watched [by way of the category watch]?

Unfortunately the edge case you mention is exactly my situation.

I have specific groups watching specific categories (automated via a plugin). I need to know that everyone in that group is receiving notifications from every topic in that category.

2 Likes

@sam In my primary forum, about 1/2 the users are in the edge case you describe, the other are in the one I describe.

Like Alex, the goal is to know that users are Watching specific categories. Perhaps removing them & reading them to a Group could reset the Watching state, via this Group-watch feature request?

2 Likes

encountered this bug recently:

1. Start by clicking the Category dropdown menu, and choose any category.
  2. While in the selected category space, click on the watch/track button next to + New Topic
  3. Choose to watch the category
  4. Refresh page, then try to unwatch the category by setting it to other option (like Normal or Watching First Post)
  5. Refresh page, the category is still being watched (Watching is still selected).
  6. Only way to unwatch the category is through the account preference page.

Shouldn’t user be able to unwatch any category the same way they use to watch one?

1 Like

@sam Has this actually been implemented yet? If so, could you reference the commit?

Not following, this has been implemented for ages.

2 Likes

@sam That’s what I thought, which is why I’m a bit confused.
The way I understand it, if I am watching a category, a new topic in this category would result in a record being created for this topic where the initial state would be watching.

Is that correct?
Because the way I am experiencing it now is that you will for example get a notification about the new topic, but if you vist /latest?state=watching, the new topic will not show up. It is not until you go visit the topic that the watching state will be set.

@sam did you receive my question?

@sniepoort In trying to track down the source of issues I’m having here, I found the commit you’re after

3 Likes

Also see:

1 Like

Is the following also true when opting to just Track a whole category?

Any old topics tracking state records that are in “regular” in that category become “tracked” (with “you are tracking this category” reason).

I think so, but you got to test it.

Sure maybe @jomaxro can assist in testing it, once he’s around more.

Just entered a completely unread topic and it was already tracked. Seems to be working as expected.

5 Likes