There are two bugs here.
I can't consistently reproduce the first, where the correct notification level is only shown after a refresh (of a category, or a topic). It's been happening to me for months, but whenever I try to reproduce it, it doesn't happen.
The second, which I think is a bit more minor, but still a nuisance can be reproduced (for a limited time only) like so:
- Track a category currently set to 'Normal'
- Go back to
/unread and observe posts not previously in it
I've been able to do this with a number of categories, but only once for each. Once I've dismissed the posts from unread, they never appear again.
Consistently reproducing it takes a little more work, so hold onto your hats, it's gonna get a bit crazy:
- Go to unread in a category of your choosing which has a notification level of "Normal", observe nothing there:
- List all the currently tracked topics in that category (and remember, or take a screenshot of them):
- Enter a topic from that category not on that list:
- Start tracking the category
- Again list tracked topics in that category
- Observe the topic you just opened in that list:
- Go to unread, and again observe that topic in the list:
So, the bug here is that previously opened topics in a category become tracked, and appear in unread (unless previously dismissed), when the category is tracked, whereas nothing happens to old not-opened-before topics.
To me, what should happen is either:
- Nothing changes about the notification status of old topics in a category when it becomes tracked, previously opened or not.
- All old topics become tracked when the category is tracked, but are automatically dismissed, so only new activity appears in the unread tab.
I lean towards the second solution, provided explicitly set notification levels on topics are kept.
I haven't investigated how this works with other notification levels, I imagine its the same, but I feel it would confuse things for the time being.