Ways to post confidential info for moderator eyes only?

This discussion road always leads off the end of a cliff that I don’t feel particularly interested in jumping from…

3 Likes

What kind of abuse? Where users use the PM system exclusively and do not converse at all in the public?

You only need to scope some PM/pub-post ratio stats.

(I jumped. *ahem*)

I have some questions.

• Why can’t these employees be moderators? What specific moderator ability is problematic? Perhaps we should have a mode where we turn off that ability

• Why can’t these employees be trust level 4 users? Then trust level 4 users could be granted the ability to see whispers, like staff.

• This might fit better with the concept of category-specific moderators which has been requested a fair bit. Could these users be made category specific moderators and then have the ability to see whispers in those categories where they are moderators.

• I still think much of this would be better handled as first class support for groups as message targets in Discourse. So you could say @@group or @@wizards or @@broncos to message that group or mention the group (with some restrictions because spam).

5 Likes

We essentially need to let our entire company see these staff-staff communications. We are a large company and are talking several hundred moderators in your proposed solution.

We do not want everyone having access to edit, delete posts, close posts, pin posts, and globally banner posts. Yet I know for sure that those features will be used in ways inappropriate for our community if everyone has access.

Trust level 4, as you can see, will not work in our case.

We need whispers visible to all employees across all but 2 of our categories so I don’t think that category-specific moderators are a solution for us.

However, staff-staff communication on tickets and forum threads should be visible to all of those employees.

I still think much of this would be better handled as first class support for groups as message targets in Discourse. So you could say @@group or @@wizards or @@broncos to message that group or mention the group (with some restrictions because spam).

I don’t understand how this would work in conjunction with in-line whispers in a thread nor how it would overcome our current obstacle.

5 Likes