Toggle Whisper 👁

This theme component adds a post menu button for staff users to make a regular post a whisper or vice versa.

:wrench: How to install

:computer: Get the code

This is useful especially for forums where a lot of conversations happen in whisper and a staff user ends up posting something and later wants to hide or show the post to non-staff users.

26 Likes

Nice! I remember this debate a few years ago. I have been burned by this so many times. The official response is:

I am often scrambling to delete whispers before they get emailed out and too many people notice my mistake!

7 Likes

Brilliant component!

is this possible to just make it so it appears on staff posts?

3 Likes

Thank You @fzngagan

Well done!

1 Like

I’ll take a look at this request soon.

p.s.
This is addressed now.

1 Like

Yes I think the same, it’s very easy to get wrong with whispers and this is one of the cases where simplicity has too be sacrified for peace of mind.

4 Likes

My question then is, does discourse behave differently in terms of email if the post is deleted vs when its post_type is changed?

We have this component installed, but the toggle no longer shows up.

Has it stopped working, or is it possible that we made some edit elsewhere (to our themes?) that inadvertently blocked it?

It’s definitely still working on meta.

What does your setting here say:

1 Like

Whispers are allowed

Ah I misread the original issue, it’s not about the general whisper functionality, gotcha! @fzngagan is already on the case it seems :wink:

1 Like

Apparently this code is broken. siteSettings.enable_whispers has been modified to siteSettings.whisper_allowed_groups.

You can try my fork here:

2 Likes

Thanks @Lhc_fl! Unfortunately, I don’t think I can try your fork since we’re on a hosted instance. But I appreciate your quick investigation! Maybe that will speed up the official fix. :awthanks:

1 Like

You can have any theme component you like. :+1: :slight_smile: It’s only plugins that need to be official (or vetted)

However, I think @fzngagan will want to fix this one up, so if you can wait it may be better in this case.

2 Likes

It’s actually a pavilion repo

@Lhc_fl PR and I will review.

2 Likes

Do you want to add the pavilion tag?

1 Like
5 Likes

Yeah let’s do that and I’ll discuss if @fzngagan wants to pass the Topic over.

1 Like

@merefield Is there any movement on this? I think it may still be in limbo? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s waiting on a (presumably trivial) org decision. I chased today.

2 Likes