Web 1.0 XenForo/IPB UX mode in Discourse?

Is such a behavior or UX mode available in discourse? If not, then is it something that is planned for the near future?
Thanks!

I don’t think Discourse has what you’re looking for… but can you be more specific? What does Web 1.0 mode do? is it visual styling or functionality changes?

3 Likes

If you access Discourse with javascript turned off you can view the site, but you can’t interact with it (much). Maybe that’s what you mean?

1 Like

So people on the team and support for discourse don’t know the difference between web 1.0 & 2.0… Not judging but that would explain a lot… Here’s another way to explain it. You know the look / feel / UX of older-style forums like XenForo? See how different it is from discourse? Well a lot of us like the FOSS aspect of disourse, but I personally wouldn’t move a big community onto it - especially with a lot of older people who will surely find it much less intuitive to navigate.

I don’t think anyone suggested they didn’t know what web 1.0 is, so there’s no need to be that guy.

No, there’s no way to visually and functionally impair Discourse to the extent you’re asking. Discourse is a single page JavaScript application, not a collection of php pages.

From the about page:

What’s different about it?

Discourse is a from-scratch reboot, an attempt to reimagine what a modern Internet discussion forum should be today, in a world of ubiquitous smartphones, tablets, Facebook, and Twitter.

The emphasis is on modern.

And:

What are the minimum browser requirements?

Discourse is designed for the next 10 years of the Internet, so the minimum browser requirements are high.

If you’re looking for a more antiquated interface then Discourse probably isn’t the right fit for you.

6 Likes

There are many people who’ve created themes to make their Discourse forum a bit “more like phpBB” to make the transition to Discourse a smaller step for the members of their community.

But in the end it’s just an attempt of postponing the inevitable, and in most communities we see people asking for a more modern look and feel within a few days, weeks or months. And for those “older people” a period of small changes might be much worse than one big change. So my advice is to just bite the bullet and dive in.

2 Likes

We understand what web 1.0 is, but the request was so vague that it could mean a lot of different things. It would be somewhat easy to make Discourse look like a web 1.0 site visually, but if you’re looking for web 1.0 functionality (no live updating, no infinite scrolling, no JS, etc) then you’d be better off with a different forum platform.

8 Likes