Webhook for new users

it’d be nice to have a webhook specific for user creation. the usecase is to develop some on-boarding plan for new users (e.g. using zapier).

there is a plugin for this, but it doesn’t work with the current version of discourse.

2 Likes

This already exists.

no it doesn’t.

there is a webhook for users, but it is not specific for “user creation”: When a user logs in, logs out, is created, approved or updated.

As a result one can’t do any specific work for newbies.

That is not the case. It is expected that you filter the webhook on the receiving end. In this case you want to filter for X-Discourse-Event: user_created.

2 Likes

This has come up many times and it would be really great if that “catch all” user webhook could be broken up into several. In the meantime, maybe @fantasticfears can repair the plugin?

See also:

2 Likes

Is this plugin broken?

https://github.com/fantasticfears/discourse-user-created-webhook

Apparently it is. See here: Discourse Webhooks and Zapier

Also, I tried to get Zapier integration setup and I couldn’t filter it on their end to only new users.

It’s also worth noting that I was planning a workaround where I only ran the zap if an email address was present, because I read here somewhere that it would only be sent with the webhook for new users, but it was there for every user, as far as I could tell.

Zapier is great and easy to use, but for certain use cases it may be not flexible enough. For anyone a bit more on the techie side, this is a great alternative (just FYI):

4 Likes

I’m curious if anyone has used Integromat for onboarding communication

i.e.:

The free version of Integromat seems to give a lot more, with 1,000 tasks/mth - vs the free version of Zapier with 100 tasks/mth.