What authority assigns the "short" names of the Emoji?

Discourse uses things like :``fries: to include images like :fries: (in place of, say 1F35F FRENCH FRIES :fries:). I gather the :name: string is called a ā€œshort codeā€, but what authority assigns those names? I donā€™t find it in any of the Unicode data dumps ( Index of /Public/UNIDATA )

I donā€™t know that anyone is assigning short names.

But per the Unicode spec the name is

FRENCH FRIES

and the short word chosen is

FRIES

So maybe de-factoā€¦

1. If the Unicode name for the Emoji is a single word, use that word

2. If the Unicode name for the Emoji is multiple words, pick one of those words

Which one, I canā€™t sayā€¦ itā€™s clear that :french: would be a bad choice here :wink:

Well someone decided that U+1F346 AUBERGINE should be called :eggplant: and not :aubergine:, so I donā€™t think itā€™s one of those two. (I came asking about :fries: because thatā€™s another UK / US difference.)

Well, the US is correct, I think you mean :wink:

Iā€™d expect there to be a Japanese bias due to the origin of Emoji. Perhaps Japanese people call eggplants Aubergines? Apparently Nasu (čŒ„å­ or ćƒŠć‚¹?) is the Japanese word for ā€œeggplantā€ā€¦ so I dunno.

1 Like

we should add an alias there, feel free to send a PR

1 Like

Seems it is a legitimate alternative name, though I sure never heard of it before
And it isnā€™t the Japanese, but the Brits! :scream_cat:

Anyway, I thought the images were ā€œmappedā€ so basically any :word: could be used for any image.

I put this in meta for a good reason. Did Discourse name them or did they come from somewhere else? What authority did Discourse go to? Did you keep records? There are a lot of sites that offer guides to emoji and include these names, but I thought since Discourse implemented them, someone here may have an official reference s/he consulted. If no one knows, I can go ask elsewhere.

The official ref is the filenames we got from emojione, twitter,google and github that extracted the images out of the apple emojis.

2 Likes

From which I take it the ā€œauthorityā€ is Apple or came through Apple. That is if everyone is using the same names from the same ultimate source.

Itā€™s not the answer I was hoping to find, but if thatā€™s it, Iā€™ll have to accept it.

With the modal selector knowing exact names isnā€™t really required.
True, it would be more convenient, but I doubt if members use more than a handful of them and they should get to know their favorites in short time no?

I have built several Unicode tools for my own use. I wanted to extend my own tools with this functionality. The only way it affects Discourse is that Iā€™m likely to be cutting and pasting the output into Discourse forums.

The Unicode Technical Report process. UTR #51 is coordinated by Mark Davis at Google and Peter Edberg at Apple. Details on how to provide feedback is in the ā€œStatusā€ paragraph of the UTR:

http://unicode.org/reports/tr51/

4 Likes

UTR#51 deals with emoji, but they donā€™t seem to deal with assigning short codes. It is merely vaguely touched on in the section on Input:

http://unicode.org/reports/tr51/#Input

However while :first_quarter_moon_with_face: works here: :first_quarter_moon_with_face: other names like :french_fries: do not.

1 Like

Maybe your not thinking of Emoji, but unicode?
eg.
🍟

:fries:

The colorful images are replacements for Unicode characters, but both are emoji.

It is starting to look like the names have been arbitrarily assigned by contributors to gemoji, a tool which creates png images from the Apple truetype font ("/System/Library/Fonts/Apple Color Emoji.ttf", not included in the package).