What's up with dev in the version number?

<meta name="generator" content="Discourse 3.2.0.beta1-dev - https://github.com/discourse/discourse version 20481abefcd025fec5f7c586aacc9354bdad94ec">

Version now has dev appended. Is this on purpose?

4 Likes

It is on purpose :slight_smile:

But we should probably explain the reasoning behind it, somewhere in the near future…

6 Likes

I think it broke my code that compared version numbers to decide whether to run a bootstrap, but I haven’t had time to figure out exactly how. :crying_cat_face:

1 Like

Here’s a summary of the changes:

These new version numbers are still valid semver, and are parseable by Gem::Version.new, so that’s the best way to compare them.

If you were trying to parse version.rb manually, then the relevant change might be this one which restructured the file to support this new suffix.

If you can share the relevant code, then I’m sure we can help to figure it out.

6 Likes

Thanks! I"m not sure yet if it’s the Ansible code that compares the versions or my code that retrieves it. I suspect it’s my code and it’s a problem of my own making.

For the reasons that the -dev got added, I suspect that I should be checking for a commit hash and then figuring out whether to upgrade based on that.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.