Where to get discourse_org_access_key?

Hello everyone.

I just set up a Discourse installation on my VPS. I’d like to check usernames against the Discourse Hub. Where can I get the discourse_org_access_key required for this (if it exists)?

Thanks.

3 Likes

IIRC that isn’t working yet. Only try.discourse.org and How to Geek have this connection now.

My goal is to finally get this done next week (unless @codinghorror has more urgent stuff for me). For now, make sure your contact_email site setting is set to an address where we can reach you.

2 Likes

Great! Looking forward to it!

Any updates on this? This is the only thread I can find about it on the whole internets.

^ That. Giving out discourse_org_access_keys isn’t a priority right now.

2 Likes

Hey, as of this evening’s git pull, suddenly I’ve got a big splat in my admin console:

I would just toggle “enforce_global_nicknames” off, but there’s a warning next to that flag saying to not change it except during initial setup. Should we ignore the warning, or is there a way to get disourse access keys for forum owners?

1 Like

I ignored the warning and turned the global nicknames off. :open_mouth:

That’s a new warning. Since you didn’t have a key, it wasn’t doing anything anyway. I should actually change the default value so all new installs don’t see that. We’ll enable it by default when we start giving out keys.

1 Like

Yeah please change the default on that!

Can one apply for a discourse_org_access_key yet or is this still in the works?

I think that would be tough for established forums as they already have userbases. The software kind of assumes you set this value at the beginning, before any users have signed up, correct @Neil?

It does, but turning it on means that some existing users could have duplicate usernames. If they try to change their username, the new username will be checked with the directory. So you’ll end up with a site that has some users with globally unique usernames, and some don’t. When this setting is enabled, we need to check existing users and register them if they are unique, or do something with the usernames that aren’t unique (generate a new username for them and allow them to change it).

Is it possible to get a key for a new forum, or is there another ticket / thread to follow to be notified of when keys become available?

The messaging next to key entry: The access key used to access the Discourse Hub username registry at discourse.org seems to suggest keys might be available on discourse.org, so my first thought was to search around there for a bit (then found this thread).

Makes sense, and it’s understandable that it wouldn’t be worth investing time in polishing a relatively undesired feature to prepare for public use.

Does this still have a decent chance of being implemented at some point in the future?

1 Like