Whole machine hangs during upgrade

I’m trying but getting this:

$ echo 'sys.kernel.mm.transparent_hugepage.enabled=never' > /etc/sysctl.d/10-huge-pages.conf
-bash: /etc/sysctl.d/10-huge-pages.conf: Permission denied
$ sudo echo 'sys.kernel.mm.transparent_hugepage.enabled=never' > /etc/sysctl.d/10-huge-pages.conf
-bash: /etc/sysctl.d/10-huge-pages.conf: Permission denied

My server is an Ubuntu Server 22.04.3 LTS.

Try running it in a root shell, it might be struggling with being in a normal shell. (You’re sudoing the echo, but not the pipe to the file)

1 Like

Indeed, several ways to do it, here’s one

sudo sh -c "echo 'sys.kernel.mm.transparent_hugepage.enabled=never' > /etc/sysctl.d/10-huge-pages.conf"
1 Like

I’ve ran the scripts and rebooted.

Then:

$ cat /proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory

and

$ cat /sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/enabled
always [madvise] never

(So first thing changed from 0 to 1 but second thing still returns the same).

Odd. What do you get from

cat /etc/sysctl.d/10-huge-pages.conf

Perhaps try the echo again?

Oh wait, the two lines to run are supposed to write to two different files. Looks like you’ve written to the same file twice.

Is it perhaps supposed to be always [madvise] never?

1 Like

Not according to the Opinionated Guide. Hugepages not a win in normal circumstances, I gather - experts who want to enable them are presumably expert enough to do it right.

1 Like
$ cat /etc/sysctl.d/10-huge-pages.conf
sys.kernel.mm.transparent_hugepage.enabled=never

Not a big deal, I do think the system works good enough :slightly_smiling_face:.

More important to get the overcommit setting right, I think

1 Like

Could be the type of processor for the server might make a difference?

1 Like

ARM vs x86? Just possibly. I see someone somewhere wondered if having more CPUs might mean more threads run and so use more memory - that just might be. Of course the biggest difference is the forum content, but I’m not sure how much difference that could make. I think some steps in upgrade are database scheme tweaks.

And then there are the kernel tunables… but in this case @Jagster had the same settings as @uwe_keim .

1 Like

Intel x86, 2 vcpu.

Quite common setup for smaller forums I would say.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.