Why does clicking latest at top of mobile open a menu at the bottom

It’s quite jarring to click what used to be a pull down to select latest, new, etc at the top of the page and then have to go to the bottom of the screen to choose.

8 Likes

Yes weird, specially it does it on Edge for me but not on Firefox (mobile)

Because we have decided to modernise our navigation on mobile. I wouldn’t call this “jarring” as that’s an often used mechanism, as seen in Notion and Instagram, to name some examples.

It seems to work for me on firefox browser emulator, and firefox iphone. Can you specify what device/browser version you can’t get it working @patrickemin ?

1 Like

Hi, I cannot reproduce the issue. I saw it on Firefox Android (latest version) the menu expanded at the top instead of the bottom.

But now it’s fixed? Might have been a weird glitch then. Lmk if you see it again.

Look fixed now, yes. (I updated my site after seeing that glitch, might be the explanation?)

1 Like

Maybe I’m just old, but it seems like a bizarre strange UX decision that clicking the screen one place would open a window somewhere else to finish the operation. It works for neither my eyes nor my finger. I was all in for the updated look.

I see now that instagram does indeed pull up a menu from the bottom when hitting the .... I think what makes it seem less strange is that their from-the-buttom menu covers over half the screen rather than just the bottom third or so. Maybe just make the space between the lines to make it more like instagram (if that’s who you think is worth emulating) modal.

But I’ve often made the “everyone else is doing it” argument when people complain about infinite scrolling, so there you go.

4 Likes

I think that wasn’t a bug, just the previous version of Discourse where the navigation wasn’t in modal yet. But maybe I am wrong…

That explain when it’s updated to the latest the navigation opened in modal.

2 Likes

mimicry maybe a form of flattery. However modernize in this case is highly subjective.

Since it was a Drop Down menu and now is a pop up menu. The current SVG does not make sense.

Maybe one of these

Personally I think this should be configurable. Drop down or pop up with configurable SVG option.

The new version of this menu just released on a site I use and it’s really inconvenient. Specifically, I now have to tap near the top of the screen to open the menu, then move my finger all the way to the bottom of the screen to select an option. Don’t get me wrong, the new menu looks nice visually. But usability is far more important and this visual improvement is far outweighed but the inconvenience.

6 Likes

Related? We upgraded today and the Latest/Hot etc button on mobile is missing margin space. Or maybe is it a bug that happens in combination with the Graceful theme?

I’m also finding uncomfortable to hold my mobile phone with one hand, tap the menu at the top with the thumb, and then select the desired option underneath also with the thumb.

I don’t use Notion, but Instagram features a “For you” / “Following”/ “Favorites” dropdown menu on the top left corner that behaves exactly like the Latest / Hot / Categories… dropdown worked before this change.

The three dots at the top right corner of the content is not a dropdown menu item, but a way to access a set of actions related to that piece of content.

1 Like

It’s definitely jarring, and a near-daily annoyance to not be able to comfortably navigate as was previously possible.