Why the image doesnt feel sticked to the body?

While i upload a image to Google Docs, its Beautiful, the image feels like the picture is painted deep into the Page background, while i upload to discourse, it feels like image is posted on board, Remember, In Schools, they will have Notice board and attach image with Gum so you can feel like the image is floating like a paper placed on table with Gum… i mean is there any way to remove the hand icon, hints, file name, etc

in google search, the google is essentially an image, but it feels like the image is painted into the webpage due to the image being transparent

for example, you can right click and select open image in a new tab and you can see the image, so while this Google image feels like sticked/painted in webpage, why does the discourse image appear like floating…i do not know the name of the behavior but would be good if we can have the ability to turn off file names, hand icons, hints while user hovers the mouse over the image. If you are active user of Google Docs, You will understand what i am complaining, If not, you won’t.

You are mixing two different kinds of images:

• images part of the webpage structure
  • images part of the content of a post, which have specific controls

To answer this very specific question, yes. You can use CSS to achieve this. Please understand, this is not a feedback we ever get so we are not going to have this in core, but you are ofc free to customize your instance if you are admin, or just your personal experience using a browser css extension.

3 Likes

For the Op your BBcode wrapper would likely be a candidate.

This example above can help the Op with a starting point

1 Like
community.brave.com##.meta
community.brave.com##.informations
community.brave.com##.filename

Adding this line in shields blocks the annoyance but it does not block the flat rectangular hint which is breaking immersion, maybe i will start using filename “.” for all pictures just so to make it less annoying

This question should be more like of rhetorical question because i can understand the behavior and know the difference and can also understand transparency But my question is why there is not a setting like

{Checkbox} Show Filename on images while i hover on the image in “Interface Settings”

If you have created Documents with lots of images on Google docs and read the same document in “Reading mode” or opened the document in private window, you can find that Google Docs is not actively Shows pop up like how discourse is doing… i wanted an experience like that and when are we going to real time cropping and resizing in real time in Topic creator ? I will add a Loom video to help you understand why this behavior is breaking immersion later, But for now, can you give me any reason why you think File name matters ? Most of the people just check the image and the name “Screenshot capture _Date_time” does not matter, i gave the file name example because in most of the topics which i see on brave community are the same file names like this one which says most people do not care about filenames while uploading image to Forums.

In other sites if they were to offer settings to check file name for images, they would have offer it as settings and the default would be off , But discourse is doing the opposite, Keeps it default and no option to turn it off.

Also have you checked Elegant themes/divi ?
ezgif-1-7b0d60d4ff (2)

I think discourse have images being shrinked into body and Expands while clicked

Can you implement the same Auto zoom behavior in discourse ? think of it in this way, I posted 20 images for a post, so if this Auto Zoom is implemented, if discourse system detects i posted 20 images back to back, discourse can auto zoom with background lights being turned off, so it will feel like someone has black theme activated while the Auto zoom image featured is being activated… would be great if we have this kind of futuristic setting.

And unnecessary elements can be removed, for example, the download button, right click on image and you see an option “Save image as” and everyone knows it will download the image and i am not sure how many people are downloading images from communities while 95% of the times images are for illustrative purpose so my suggestion is discourse need to start giving more importance to Immersion where discourse automates immersion for images to take full screen area of the display and less importance for file names/download button.

Also there seems to be original image, discourse is making us to believe that we are in 2000 where internet bandwidth is Expensive, images takes less than 10 mb and most users wont care about losing 10 mb so always use original image and even if you were to compress, be less aggressive(less color reductions).

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.