WordPress in a Discourse iFrame?

I don’t entirely agree. Opinionated, yes; stifling experimentation, no. There are many people here experimenting with Discourse in all sorts of ways (just browse the plugin category!) Certainly the Discourse team themselves will focus work on what actual customers want, but I don’t get the impression they dissuade experimentation.

In this case I think this is more likely:

Hasn’t come up in this topic yet so worth mentioning — there’s already a great WordPress plugin, WP Discourse, built specifically for connecting the two platforms. It’s used by many many sites and a ton of time has already been spent making that plugin work to solve not only SSO but things like:

See:

I think the main takeaway is that 99.99% of the time it doesn’t make sense to reinvent the wheel (whether by shunting a whole WP site into an iframe on Discourse, or something else) when there’s already a very good way to connect the two in a more robust way via this plugin and SSO.

Sure it may be technically possible to do it another way, but what Erlend’s getting at is that there are already much simpler solutions that are well established and battle tested by many sites. Doing it a totally different way would mean spending lots of time building a custom solution, with not much obvious benefit.

If someone doesn’t yet have an established WP site or just really doesn’t want to deal with configuring integration between multiple platforms, another possible way to go would be to just use Discourse itself to fulfill the function of a blog platform. People have definitely tried that too and discussed on Meta; one example here: How to enable your community to use Discourse as a (micro) blogging platform

3 Likes