Xenforo 2.3 Migration

Hey people, looking to migrate from Xenforo 2.3 to Discourse. I need to be careful of this process and wanted to ask a few questions before giving it a shot. I did a few searches about migrating from XF here before posting, but most threads were a few years old. I didn’t actually see any official migration documenation.

1. Is there an official migration tool for XF built-in Discourse?
  2. If there is any migration tool available, what does and does not get migrated?
  3. Required software? I’m using AlmaLinux 8x (cPanel server) with LiteSpeed.
  4. What happens to things like private messages, passwords, banned emails?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I think this is the xenforo migration topic.

3 Likes

The script is here. It works just like the others.

Here are some instructions.

That’s because not much has changed. I suspect that no news is good news.

It will be hard to make it work with cPanel. I recommend either a local development environment or a virtual machine that can run docker and has nothing else running on it. It might be possible to make Discourse work with your current server, but that’s a separate issue from running the import.

It looks like it skips banned users, but does not import banned emails, so I suppose if those banned people find your new forum, you’ll need to ban them again or modify the script to do that; I’m not aware of any scripts that do that, so you’ll need to look in the Discourse source to see how to ban them on the Discourse side and find where those email addresses are in your database.

It doesn’t look like the migrate password hashes plugin supports Zenforo. There’s a chance that it works anyway (if it happens to use the same hash as some other forum).

2 Likes

true. I have migrated my xf 2.2 to discourse in the past and it worked very well. Not sure but i think I just needed to change the images/avatars path in the config file.

2 Likes