Add option to show /top or /hot topics in Showcased Categories

Is it possible to show the list of Top topics of a category instead of Latest?

2 Likes

Not currently, I donā€™t believe. Though it is a good idea. Maybe have an option for the new /hot topic list as well. :thinking:

3 Likes

Yeah, for us the reasoning to use this component would be: we default to Latest in our main page and that is good to show fresh/active stuff all the time. However, we could highlight the Top posts (last 3 months) of two key categories to show highly appreciated topics especially to first-time visitors.

(Iā€™m not familiar with the /hot stuff. Checkingā€¦)

I think you only have to change this line to show top topics instead of latest

2 Likes

Wow thanks! At the same timeā€¦ uffff, touching source code and maintain it through updatesā€¦ Ok, itā€™s an option to think about.

Of course another option is to have our main page point to Top and then use Latest in the Showcased Categoriesā€¦

Another question, hopefully last for now. Can users remove this component, just like they can with other big components placed at the top of main pages?

Hopefully someone can add it as a feature. By the way the ā€˜moreā€™ button does not work as expected. It still takes you to latest even when you show top topics

1 Like

I am fighting the urge to include a link to my profileā€¦ :slight_smile:

But no, hereā€™s the announcement with the info in if anyone is looking - Discover popular conversations in your community with Hot topic sorting (no proper guide quite yetā€¦)

There isnā€™t an option to dismiss/collapse this one.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve slipped it over to a feature request as it does sound like a good addition to have.

(Though youā€™ll need a separate one for the collapse/dismiss suggestion so we can track it properly)

3 Likes

If someone looks at this piece of code, please consider adding also Latest created (currently is Latest updated). The reasoning has to do with the new and hot Hot (pun intended) topic sorting. If Hot is chosen as default for the Main page, then overlaps between hottest and most recently updated are likely. Overlaps between hottest and most recently created not so much, and they could complement each other well.

I created a pr adding /top and /hot

3 Likes