Is there any Discourse based community using Telegram chat integration?

AI-generated summary

A discussion about Telegram chat integration with Discourse communities began with Systmyz asking if any community is using this integration. itsbhanusharma shared their past experience with Telegram integration and warned that it can be “finicky to set up.” Falco clarified the difference between two Telegram-related plugins, and Systmyz expressed interest in experiencing a live example of Telegram integration.

Bathinda shared their successful integration of both plugins, which allows them to receive notifications and posts from their Discourse community in a Telegram channel. Bill asked if it’s possible to reverse this process, pushing Telegram channel messages to a Discourse topic. Bathinda and MarcP expressed interest in exploring this feature, but HAWK suggested that using chat directly within Discourse might make Telegram integration unnecessary.

Hello members,
Is there any Discourse based community which is using Telegram chat integration?
Thanks!!

4 Likes

One of my (now defunct) community depended heavily on using telegram integration. I’ll be able to answer any questions that you may have.

5 Likes

Nice to see your reply member @itsbhanusharma :slight_smile:
How was your experience with Telegram integration with Discourse forum? I want to experience something similar. Can you suggest me some community where Telegram integration is active?
Thanks!!

1 Like

Telegram integration is very finicky to set up and an average user is usually not bothering enough to take all the steps that are required to enable telegram notifications on their account.

I’d recommend not to use it unless you have a community that uses telegram as their primary mode of communication.

4 Likes

I think @Systmyz is talking about Set up Telegram integration using the discourse-chat-integration plugin, which is an official plugin for a very common need, while @itsbhanusharma is talking about Telegram Notifications Plugin (discourse-telegram-notifications), a very niche and strange use case plugin.

3 Likes

@Falco & @itsbhanusharma both are right. Actually, I want to experience LIVE example of TELEGRAM integration. Kindly suggest some community which has already integrated Telegram with their Discourse based community. Thanks!!

2 Likes

I’ve integrated my disco website with telegram, using both plugins, Telegram Chat Integration (which pushes any/all posts notifications to a pre-set telegram channel) and Discourse Telegram Notifications, which, when integrated correctly, sends my personal notifs to me on telegram (I can even ‘like’ and ‘reply’ to those posts thru telegram itself). The later is for personal notifs/activity, the former is for receiving almost/all posts created on your website into a telegram channel/group.

2 Likes

Is it possible to do this in reverse as well? All telegram channel messages get pushed to a topic on Discourse?

6 Likes

That’s an interesting thing to explore, but I don’t know anything about this feature.

2 Likes

+1, can also think of some use cases for this.

Now you can just use chat directly within Discourse so there is no real need for Telegram chat at all!

4 Likes