Discobot tutorial generating modmail

This is effectively a followup to Discobot tutorial gets stuck if 'something else' flag type is selected. While the tutorial no longer gets stuck, it still generates a message to the moderators. Obviously this is something that many folks trip up on during the tutorial — it’s happened four times in the last 10 days on our site — and the discussions here show folks had been getting stuck prior to the fix. The prompt says to flag it as inappropriate — and while I read that as “use the inappropriate reason,” it’s written in a natural way that I can see missing inappropriate as an important keyword to match.

You already hide/dismiss the flag, couldn’t you also hide/prevent sending the mod message (especially now that discobot responds appropriately)? I also just changed discobot’s text a bit as an experiment on our site to see if a slightly different wording helps lower the volume.

3 Likes

It’s still early for our relatively small site but this is looking promising. In the month prior to changing this, 18 folks did that tutorial step and 4 flagged it wrong. In the month+ since 17 have done that step and 0 got it wrong. The new text adds a few more details about why you might flag a post but I’m guessing it’s the very small change to the final sentence that’s doing most of the work:

We like our discussions friendly, and we need your help to keep things civilized. If you see a problem, please flag to privately let the author, or our helpful staff, know about it. There are many reasons you might want to flag a post ranging from an innocuous thread-splitting suggestion to a clear-cut standards violation. If you select “something else,” you’ll start a private message discussion chain with the moderators in which you can ask further questions.

:imp: I wrote something nasty here

Go ahead and flag this post and select inappropriate as the reason!

4 Likes

Excellent! Let’s adopt that change. @justin can you pull that in?

2 Likes

PR is up for this!

EDIT: Merged.

2 Likes