Fun with flairs

AI-generated summary

The discussion, “Fun with flairs,” revolves around implementing country flags as user flairs on an international forum. Octoberon wants users to be able to choose a flag flair in their profile, rather than through groups, and also prefers the flair to be displayed top-left instead of bottom-right.

Lilly suggests using the user status setting, but notes it’s not ideal for this purpose. Falco shares a plugin for displaying national flags, which Lilly confirms is what they were looking for.

However, Octoberon and michellefs discuss using the custom user status feature, which allows users to update their status with a flag emoji. Octoberon realizes this isn’t exactly what they’re looking for, as it’s more like an ‘away’ message.

Lilly provides a solution to display flairs in a different location using CSS, offering examples for top-right, bottom-right, bottom-left, and top-left positions. Lilly also reiterates that the display nationality plugin flags aren’t flairs, as mentioned earlier.

I run an international forum and thought it might be interesting/helpful if users could choose a flair that’s the flag for their country.

I can’t see a way to implement this other than creating groups for each country and getting people to join the appropriate one. It’s a non-technical forum and groups haven’t really registered with most of them so it probably wouldn’t work too well in practice. They would expect a way to do this in their user profile.

I’d also like to have the flair top-left, not bottom right, and I can’t see any way to do that other than with the Trust Level Avatar Flair theme component, which isn’t really what I’m looking for.

Would this require a new theme component to achieve, or some other solution?

1 Like

the user status setting can do something like this, but of course that isn’t its function.
i suspect the component could be altered for a flag status component. see my status for an example. not quite the same as a flair though.

1 Like

Have you seen

9 Likes

:point_up_2:t2: that. was just searching for that plug-in.

4 Likes

Aha! I spent ages searching for all sorts of variants on ‘flair’ but not ‘flags’. I’ll take a look at that later. Thank you!

2 Likes

Without any additional plugins (:arrow_up: that one is from 5 years ago), users can now :arrow_down: update their status (since last October):

5 Likes

Ah, I think I may have led myself up the garden path a little. :slightly_smiling_face: Is there any method to display flairs in a location other than bottom-right? That custom status is akin to an ‘away’ message you might put on IM. My use case is slightly different.

in common-css, use this and adjust the bottom/top and left/right properties number for fine positioning. for example this is the code if you want the flair in top right instead.

.latest-topic-list-item .topic-poster .avatar-flair {
    position: absolute;
    top: 0px;
    right: 10px;
}

while this is the default bottom right:

.latest-topic-list-item .topic-poster .avatar-flair {
    position: absolute;
    bottom: 0;
    right: 10px;
}

bottom left:

.latest-topic-list-item .topic-poster .avatar-flair {
    position: absolute;
    bottom: 0;
    left: 0px;
}

top left:

.latest-topic-list-item .topic-poster .avatar-flair {
    position: absolute;
    top: 0;
    left: 0;
}

Also, the display nationality plugin flags that Falco linked above aren’t going to be flairs.

2 Likes

yea that’s exactly what i pointed out in my first reply.

1 Like