301 redirect from existing thread to external url, not working

Hi, I’m trying to set up a 301 redirect from a forum thread to an external URL (on my blog) in /admin/customize/permalinks but it’s not doing anything.

I also tried deleting the original thread, but then it just says you need to log in to see it rather than redirecting to the external url.

I also tried renaming the original thread so the URL changed, but still no dice.

Any ideas if there’s a way to accomplish this? Alternatively, is there a way of setting a canonical link for that specific thread to the external URL instead?

1 Like

Related: https://meta.discourse.org/t/how-to-redirect-from-permalinks/59727

I think we have the same problem :frowning:

I don’t think that you can use a permalink to override a topic. If you want a topic to link somewhere wise I think your only solution is to put a link to the other thing in the topic.

What is the use case?

2 Likes

@pfaffman is right. Permalinks can’t be used to override URLs used by Discourse since they’re checked at the very last resort when no route was found.

3 Likes

If anyone else comes looking to this topic in the future, the way I had to do it was to transfer the whole topic to a new one (to preserve the old content), then deleting the old topic.

I first tried this while the old topic was in a non-public category, but then it didn’t work (users would see a login screen instead of being redirected). But then I un-deleted it, moved it to a public category, and deleted it again—and it worked!

For me it was that I wanted to move content that started out as a topic on my forum last year into a blog post format (so I can easily update the date of the content for SEO reasons). The topic was doing well for certain terms, so I wanted to transfer that “SEO juice” to the updated blog post.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.