A category can be set as both "tracking" and "watch first post" in preferences (and database)

The thread was locked, not sure why, but I wanted to ask you about one issue if you don’t mind. Feel free to make this a public topic.

I haven’t yet tried your PR above, I’m still on 1.8.0.beta10+57.

I have my auto-switch set to “watching”. Currently I can set a category to both “tracking” and “watching 1st post”.

• If it’s set only to “tracking” then I don’t get an email notification on 1st post, and replying in the topic doesn’t bump it to “watching”. The topic remains on “tracking”.
  • If it’s set only to “watching 1st post” then I do get an email notification when a topic is created, and replying to that topic does bump it to “watching”.
  • If it’s set to both “watching” and “watching 1st post” then I do get an email notification when a topic is created, but replying in the topic doesn’t bump it to “watching”.

How does your PR behave when a category has 2 or more subscription levels?

Cheers

A category can only have one subscription level, it can’t have two. A topic can have a separate subscription level though. Topics do not have a Watching First Post subscription, they only have Watching.

Thus, if you are tracking a category, or Watching First Post, if you reply to said topic and your preference says to use Watching when you reply, the topic will update to Watching when you reply.

Feel free to view the tests in my associated PR to get a better understanding of that.
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/4812

1 Like

I beg to differ, here’s a screenshot which shows category “testing” on both “tracked” and “watching first post”:

And that’s not a GUI mistake, it’s in the database too:

pry(main)> CategoryUser.where(category_id:9,user_id:1)
=> [#<CategoryUser:0x0055bdc34b5a38 id: 67, category_id: 9, user_id: 1, notification_level: 4>,
    #<CategoryUser:0x0055bdc34b5100 id: 68, category_id: 9, user_id: 1, notification_level: 2>]

Two differernt subscription levels for my user for the same category. Could be a bug, but right now a category can definitely have two subscription levels.

1 Like

Visit that category page and tell me what it shows in the top right corner. It only permits one in the top right corner.

Fairly certain what you are seeing is a bug.

Just like you can’t have the same categories in Watched and Tracked (or Muted).

When visiting teh category, it shows as “watching first post” but given the database shows both, this feels uncertain. Yes, I meant it must be a bug … could you make this into a public topic in the “bug” category for the others to see it too?

That being said, I actually want to be able to both receive an email on 1st post and also to see counters of new replies next to the topic (why shouldn’t that be possible?). Currently it seems that the “watching first post” level does this, but if that is considered a bug then I wouldn’t want it fixed :slight_smile: