A new trust level: The Helpful member?

I think this is the main user group we’re failing to properly acknowledge. But rather than creating a new trust level, I’m leaning more towards changing the criteria of TL3. People’s schedules and interests are different, and we could be more accommodating of that.

If a user focuses on our #dev category and only checks in every month or so, they can still be an immensely positive force in the community, fully deserving of the trust and recognition that TL3 represents.

TL3 currently requires regular check-ins, but I’m not so sure that’s a fair condition. Here’s the current default requirements:

:pencil: Here’s my suggestion:

Regular (3)

Regulars are the most active readers and reliable contributors over long periods of time.

They can get to trust level 3 by…

This is time and activity based, unlike the previous levels. In the last 65 days… (a quarter)

• a likes-to-posts ratio of 2:1
  • must have replied to at least 10 different topics
  • must have received 20 likes, and given 30 likes.*
  • must not have received more than 5 spam or offensive flags (with unique posts and unique users for each, confirmed by a moderator)
  • must not have been suspended

and one of the following:

• of topics created in the last 100 days, must have viewed 25% (capped at 500)
  • of posts created in the last 100 days, must have read 25% (capped at 20k)
  • must have viewed (or replied to) 25% of all topics in any given category (minimum set to 20, capped at 500)

* These likes must be across a minimum number of different users (1/5 the number), across a minimum number of different days (1/4 the number). Likes cannot be from PMs.

All of these must be true.

Unlike other trust levels, you can lose trust level 3 status. If you dip below these requirements, whether from flagging or the passage of time, you will be demoted to Member. However, in order to avoid constant promotion/demotion situations, there is a 2-week grace period immediately after gaining Trust Level 3 during which you will not be demoted.

The purging of inactive TL3 users makes most sense in relation with our #lounge category, which is supposed to be this special hangout space for the most avid members of your community. But in reality we’ve hardly seen any communities create this type of meta-community within itself.

What we should do about the #lounge category is a different topic, but what I’m getting at is I don’t see the point of demoting TL3s. I’ve seen several discussions of users finding the automated demotion stressful; I hate the idea of our tool causing people stress.

As an admin, I’d much rather:

• Receive a notification when a new user reaches TL3
  • Receive a notification when an existing TL3 is no longer fitting the criteria

…and leave it up to me as an admin to demote that user if they’re no longer bringing value to the community.

This is something we’ve considered adding to the soon-to-be-core admin statistics report.

6 Likes