Understanding Discourse Trust Levels

(Jeff Atwood) #1

Originally published at: Understanding Discourse Trust Levels

The user trust system is a fundamental cornerstone of Discourse. Trust levels are a way of… Sandboxing new users in your community so that they cannot accidentally hurt themselves, or other users while they are learning what to do. Granting experienced users more rights over time, so that they can help everyone maintain and moderate…

Trust Level Setting not working
(Jeff Atwood) #2

I’m certain I’ve forgotten a few minor tweaks or rules we’ve added to trust levels in the last few years. Any ideas, community? Point out what I missed!

Thank you for consolidating this documentation! Trust levels (and consolidation of knowledge over time) are two “features” that make Discourse so special.

UI was removed but now exists again via the arrow key next to the topic title in the editor:

2018-06-26-110511

Maybe one point that you could insist on @codinghorror, is that trust levels help combat spam effectively, as damage requires involvement. You only mention it once in a bullet point, but it could definitely be part of the introductory bullet points:

I’d be curious to read from long-time admins who have experimented with changing trust levels for their communities. How many leaders do you have? Do you actually use their organizational privileges?

Hi Jeff, In order for a forum user to reach the next trust level do they need to meet all of the requirements listed for each trust level or do they only need to meet one of the requirements? It’s not clear on the blog post.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Only one requirement per level would make it rather ineffective as a gate, don’t you think?

Jeff, Thank you for the clarification. I understand the importance of gates, however if they are too restrictive some users may feel dissatisfaction with the fact basic forum functionality like sending private messages is locked behind a gate which they did not know existed.

The Age of Empires community, of which I am a volunteer moderator, recently switched from Vanilla to Discourse and I am learning the ropes of Discourse. Overall I am very happy with Discourse.