A strange information - "Let's get this discussion started!"

Hey,

I have setup an discourse site and i don’t know why i get this information message on top of my screen.

It says

Let’s get this discussion started! There are currently 2 / 5 topics and 5 / 30 posts. New visitors need some conversations to read and respond to.

What does this mean? what does 2/5 topics and 5/30 posts mean?

Sorry, but i am a english native and i am unable to understand it quite correctly.

1 Like

The 2 in 2/5 means that 2 topics have been posted, and that 5 in total are required.

The 5 in 5/30 means that 5 posts have been posted, and 30 posts are required. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks, but why are 5 topics and 30 posts required? After completing this what will happen to the discourse?

I mean, will it exit from bootstrap mode?

1 Like

Yes, once both requirements are reached, bootstrap mode is disabled.

1 Like

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One more point - this is only visible to your site’s staff… your users wouldn’t have to see it.

See more here:

1 Like

It might be better if the message said that it was staff-only.

1 Like

I think it does?

Haven’t seen it in a while though, and new discourse admins may not recognize what it all means.

It doesn’t explicitly say that; only that the message will eventually go away.

Thanks @watchmanmonitor , i do know that it is only visible to Staffs, thanks for getting me let know what it is actually :slight_smile:

To me, the meaning of the message is clear.

Let’s get this discussion started!
There are currently 2 / 5 topics and 5 / 30 posts.
New visitors need some conversations to read and respond to.

But it could be argued that the message, as it is, doesn’t pass the “don’t make me think” rule.

Maybe if it were changed to something like.

There are currently 2 / 5 topics and 5 / 30 posts.
New visitors need more conversations than that to read and respond to.

or

There are currently 2 topics and 5 posts.
New visitors need at least 5 topics and 30 posts to read and respond to.

1 Like

I agree with this one ^ and there are so many TYPOS in discourse. I will post them as a new topic at bug section @codinghorror @Mittineague :smile: