We want to allow users to add a custom section of links to their sidebar.
In a first pass for this feature, we plan to build upon the existing sidebar preferences page, and allow a user to add a single custom section for these links.
We think it can work something like this:
- checkbox for “Show Custom Section”.
If checked Custom Section appears above Categories Section and values must have valid Name and at least one valid Link to “Save Changes”
- textbox for Name of the custom section (default: My Links, cannot be blank)
- button to “Add link”. when clicked, show dialog to add link
- Added links show button to remove it
Add link dialog
- Add link dialog has two text boxes: Name, URL
- Name cannot be blank, may include emoji (which should be rendered in the sidebar)
- URL must be a link to within the same Discourse site*
- Save adds link, Cancel discards it
When a valid custom section is configured and saved, the sidebar will show that section above “Categories”.
- We’d like to be able to “highlight”/'bold" the link in the sidebar when you’re on the corresponding page.
- We’d like to store the “path” part, so site renames work as expected.
We think that adding links today will be valuable because it will allow folks to easily access things like “Open sidebar bugs” and enable us to take advantage of any future improvements for topic lists like improved topic list filters. As long as things have a URL, people can add them to their sidebar.
We think users will want to be able to add multiple sections and reorder them, but we will keep that out of scope initially.