Ability to upload files in chunks

Today we ran into unexpected problem, raising max file size limit to 300MB, but unable to upload anything higher than 100MB, despite all configs are correct. The case is that Cloudflare limits uploads to 100MB at Free & Pro plans and has maximum of 500MB at enterprise level. As we don’t plan to move to paid plans at CF, it got me thinking that chunk uploads could solve this problem.

I couldn’t find any ready solutions for discourse at Meta & Plugins, that’s why I’d like to know if it’s possible to develop such plugin or maybe even make it a core functionality.

There are examples of libraries dedicated to solve such problems like GitHub - 23/resumable.js: A JavaScript library for providing multiple simultaneous, stable, fault-tolerant and resumable/restartable uploads via the HTML5 File API.

So two questions for the team:

1. Would it be considered as a feature for future versions of Discourse to have chunked uploads out-of-the-box?
  2. Are there any core limitations to be considered if we go “custom plugin development” way? Something to know before we pitch the idea to potential developers would be great.

Thanks for your attention.