Add <abbr> tags to words in posts

This is a super project, and exactly what we need for Humane Tech Community! I gather that - since we are a hosted instance, and this is a Theme Component - we are able to apply this for our community.

The documentation on how to use this component is still a bit thin, though. I gather since this is derived from the Linkify component, it will work similarly?

If that is the case, there is the mention by @sam that the UI is still very painful to use for long lists, which I am not sure has been addressed yet.

We have community members with many different professional backgrounds and expertise (medical, psychology, IT, education) and the need for a crowdsourced glossary, with a lot of terms, ultimately. Given how Linkify works, that would mean having a workflow that goes something like this:

• There is a (sub)category that needs Moderator approval before posting
  • Some member posts a new term for the glossary, with explanatory text
  • When approved, an admin takes the post URL and adds the proper config (term + URL) to the Abbrev/Linkify list in Settings

Not ideal for this use case, maybe (a bit involved, with the Admin interaction needed), but workable.

Is this indeed how the module works, and is the workflow I described the one to go for?

Edit: Additionally - since we are a hosted instance - I am wondering, if a view of an abbreviation ‘balloon’ counts as a pageview on our account quotum?

1 Like