Add "Dismiss all" link on Notifications Menu, like facebook

Right, but I was actually saying that as a feature request. It’s only half-way right now, which is weird.

Upon opening the notifications tab:

• Message counter (green) remains unchanged
    Message highlights remain unchanged (because message is unread)

• Likes (et. al.) counter gets reset
    Likes highlights remain unchanged

This is weird.

2 Likes

I don’t like (no pun intended) this personally. When I open the forums in the morning, many times I’ll have more notifications than fit in the menu. Likes get pushed to the bottom (due to messages being prioritized, which I like). If likes were marked read automatically simply by opening the menu, I’d potentially miss some because they weren’t even on the menu. Keeping the highlight allows me to go into my notifications page and ensure I read everything,

7 Likes

Yes – anything automatically dismissed needs to at least only do so if it’s had reasonable screen time in front of the user.

5 Likes

I do think we should add this if there is an appropriate Font Awesome glyph. Anyone know?

I guess check works fine and we use that elsewhere for dismiss:

@neil can you add this to your list for next week, later?

8 Likes

Or keep it in the notifications area? On its own line or like this:

00 PM

2 Likes

I think across from log out is better as that’s the “command” area

5 Likes

And the logic should check how many notifications before showing it…? And grey it out or hide it once you’ve pressed it like the notifications page does? :grimacing:

If we’re using the Facebook as our model, no, not necessary. Facebook always displays “Mark all as Read” as a clickable blue link regardless of if there are any notifications to mark read.

4 Likes

Yeah simple is fine here, though if there are NO notifications, let’s not show that button / action?

3 Likes

I think Neil’s suggested location for the “dismiss” link makes more sense - that’s where people would look for notifications actions. Next to log out might confuse them. Their reaction may be “huh? dismiss what?” Maybe worth asking a civilian… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Rather than random speculation, which I don’t agree with for a variety of reasons, we should get it out there and get feedback first.

I was also thinking we have dropped this “show me more…” text pattern in favor of a down chevron anyways, so that is another reason not to do what you’re proposing. Like so:

thus roughly like so

One less translation, and consistent with a few other places we have a logical “continue showing me more of X at the bottom of this, because there are more not shown here” pattern.

5 Likes

Placed here it looks too much like “Dismiss this dialog” to a layman. Better use “Dismiss All” in this case.

6 Likes

I do like this! :heart_eyes_cat:

1 Like

The dismiss link and down-chevron link are live now on Try.

13 PM

We can tweak the position and label of the Dismiss button based on the principles of complaint-driven development. Now that the down arrow is there, I think the Dismiss button makes sense where it is.

12 Likes

One minor change we need here, the “Dismiss” kind of flashes in, instead of being rendered from get go. It is a bit distracting.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s the dismiss button, that’s the menu trying to decide the correct height? e.g. that was not Neil’s new thing, but Robin’s original code?

It looks like the dismiss button to me, not the height calc, that happens upfront prior to render.

The panel doesn’t know if there are notifications so dismiss isn’t shown until they’re loaded. Logic can be reversed to show it until 0 notifications load I guess.

but there is a case where you have a local cache and know up front, that is the one you need to account for.

1 Like

Aha! Now I know where I saw this “expand with a big down chevron at the bottom” UI recently:

Great song BTW one of his best. Have a listen.

1 Like