Add English and translated aliases for Emojis

Continuing the discussion from Add alias support to emoji picker:

Our Emoji picker could be greatly improved by adding support for English and translated search aliases. The Unicode Consortium provides all the data we need:

This feature consists of two parts:

1. Doing all the aliases properly for English
  2. Adding support for per locale aliases, so you can type :sourire in French on French sites and get :smile: in the window.

Iā€™m putting it on my list.

16 Likes

Just as a note here, we need it to be lazy loaded, this is why I havenā€™t been doing it yet.

5 Likes

I think it is fine to have alias.en and alias.de etcā€¦ files, so we can lazy load per locale.

4 Likes

Isnā€™t this complete @gerhard?

No, not yet. I decided to work on it next month because it was moved to the next release.

5 Likes

Just found out about this ā€œpublicā€ list of translated emoji aliases: Translations

2 Likes

Hey

I have a general question. I created my custom emoji group. How do I override this translation key? :slight_smile:

Thank you.

Currently you have to add translations into a theme or component, in your case it would be something like:

<script>
    I18n.translations.en.js.emoji_picker.twitch = "Twitch";
</script>

You can also add de if you need a different name for de.

@gerhard I had to ask you about this, do you see a better way to accomplish this given custom group names are set by admins ?

6 Likes

The easiest solution I can think of is to use the custom group name if the translation canā€™t be found. The only problem Iā€™m seeing is that group names seem to be converted to lowercase.

I18n.t("emoji_picker.twitch", { defaultValue: "twitch" })

The more involved solution would be to make SiteTextsController and TranslationOverride work with custom emoji group names (or any other custom translation that needs to be added at runtime).

2 Likes

Cool might investigate the second one at some point, thanks.

1 Like

Hey I just did console.log(I18n.translations.en.js) which outputs me the following:

It seems that emoji_picker is not available for a translation for me. There are also no effects if I paste in your code into my theme head.

Thank you.

1 Like

This was reported again here: (now closed)

We will be prioritizing this and get to it in the next release.

3 Likes

@joffreyjaffeux I created a PR to include search aliases in our emoji-db repo.

4 Likes