Hey team! Recently set up a discourse install and noticed one potential area for an easy enhancement.
When you go through Discourse settings, there are a whole bunch of fields for doing things, and none of them have descriptions (or, sometimes, names that you can even figure out). This is a little intimidating.
What I found myself doing was
- Explore Discourse settings
- Notice google_oauth field to enable login with google
- Grumble at lack of instructions, start searching google for howto get an OAuth2 api key or whatever
- Grumble some more when that didnt work
- Eventually discover meta.discourse topic with perfect instructions (including the need to manually enable a totally unrelated google+ API in a totally different area of google’s settings, WTF)
After that, I just searched meta.discourse every single time I was going to set something up and found really fantastic docs on how to do all of it.
So anyway here’s my suggestion: Add a
? icon/link beside settings fields labels which have respective topics on meta.discourse.org would make initial setup a lot more pleasurable!