Add rel="nofollow" admin setting is not working right, its making parent domain link as nofollow

(Sam Saffron) #21

We are going to need an extra site setting.

if forum.ninjas.co.uk then www.ninjas.co.uk should be followed.

if beta.forum.ninjas.com then www.ninjas.com should be followed.

So we need a site setting here for:

follow_links_domains which user can set. Which will help for lots of other cases. Like ninjas.community wanting www.ninjas.com followed.

(Jeff Atwood) #22

Yes this only applies to the domain part of the URL.

(Sam Saffron) #23

However, I think our default behavior is correct now.

meta.discourse.org should only include follow for a.meta.discourse.org etc. Otherwise we need to carry around logic that tells us who is a TLD

eg:

.community vs .com vs co.uk vs co.il

OR we need to do DNS queries and add extra complex logic.

(Jeff Atwood) #24

No we don’t need to do any of that, we just need to add one more site setting: it contains

discourse.org

or

example.com
example.co.uk
example.website

We know that anything with a period added to the front of that is allowed. If this setting is not specified, then nofollow is super strict.

Note that @techapj said he fixed a bug with the current handling that seems kind of severe…

So we need that fix…

(Sam Saffron) #25

Sure, just saying current behavior is correct.

Also site setting should allow for a list of domains, not just one.

(Jeff Atwood) #26

According to @techapj current behavior is not correct (at least for exclude_rel_nofollow_domains)

(Arpit Jalan) #27

Yes, I agree. However I think we should just rename setting exclude_rel_nofollow_domains to follow_links_domains, because exclude_rel_nofollow_domains is essentially doing the same thing. So:

• By default meta.discourse.org will only follow meta.discourse.org, a.meta.discourse.org, etc.
  • If the user adds discourse.org to follow_links_domains setting then meta.discourse.org will also follow discourse.org, www.discourse.org, try.discourse.org, etc.

Sounds good?

(Sam Saffron) #28

I think this is fine:

I don’t want rename this site setting, seems pointless.

(Love Chopra ) #29

Is it fixed? If I upgrade to latest version will it work or do I need to wait for next release?

Also do I need to do anything for old posted links or ‘no-follow’ will automatically get removed from older root domain links?

(Sam Saffron) #30

It works fine but you need to plugin the domain name into the site setting

(Love Chopra ) #31

@sam its working fine for newly add links but for older content it is still adding rel=“nofollow”, please suggest how can I remove rel=“nofollow” for all the older content for my parent domain?

(Jeff Atwood) #32

Rebake the previous content – look up the command to rebake all posts.

(Love Chopra ) #33

Thanks a lot, it work like a magic :smile:

(Aaron Seminoff) #34

Sorry guys I am a newbie with nofollow and have a question: I want to take content from by blog on my normal site and also post it as a thread on my discourse site which is a subdomain of my main site (animalhearted.com vs. community.animalhearted.com). Do I need to add a rel cononical tag to each thread I post individually so that google won’t penalize me for having duplicate content on my site? Please let me know what I need to do in order to post duplicate content and not get an seo dock from google.

Thanks so much!

(Kane York) #35

Typically what’s done is the embedding feature, which will put a short excerpt on Discourse with a “Show Full Post” button.