Add 'stop impersonating' link to user avatar dropdown when impersonating

(Dave McClure) #1

As far as I’m aware, there is currently no way to ‘stop impersonating’ a user. In order to do this now, you have to log out, and then log back in as yourself.

It’d be nice if there were a link to ‘stop impersonating’ the user in the user avatar dropdown menu:

Impersonating user and then returning to admin
Impersonating a user should allow me to go back to my user
(Sam Saffron) #2

We would need to start tracking that you are impersonating for that to work :slight_smile:

Impersonate shouldn't clear notifications
(Sander Datema) #3

Well, wouldn’t mind that Discourse would track that. :smile:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/don-t-change-last-seen-when-impersonating-a-user/5764?source_topic_id=13806

(Sam Saffron) #4

Totally for fixing this, its just a bit hairy.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Are you really impersonating users so much that this is a problem? Seems like a lot of work for little benefit.

(Dave McClure) #6

No, its a very minor issue. Consider this documentation for the workaround until such a time its deemed worthy of attention.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #7

Ran into this myself right now. Still corner-case, but it is rather annoying when it does happen, just for the record ^^

Even a “secret” URL shortcut to get you back would be a great first step. I could be made aware of such a trick via the admin guide.

(Dave McClure) #8

Would the mechanics for switching out of anonymous mode be applicable to this feature?

(Sam Saffron) #9

I can implement it, but I don’t want to gold plate impersonation, logging when someone impersonates has to come first

(Lisa Wess) #10

Looking forward to having this option. I end up impersonating folks quite a lot as we develop features/test things out and it is a huge hassle to get out of it since I have to go through multiple screens to re-login (due to SSO).

(Robby O'Connor) #11

Was this ever implemented?

(Sam Saffron) #12

Nope, did not happen, I feel odd adding more polish around impersonation

(Robby O'Connor) #13

I’d prefer it be removed if there isn’t a way go get out…I had to
invalidate all login sessions to stop getting push notifications…may be a
separate issue…

–Rob

(Jeff Atwood) #14

Stop using the intensely alpha push notifications plugin?

(Robby O'Connor) #15

It’s still good – it does the job :slight_smile: The solution is to never Impersonate a user again.