Add the full post composer to the approval queue

It is not yet possible to update the image in a topic that’s been moderated.

Pasting in a new (cleaned up) image doesn’t work, and dragging the new image just replaces the current page.

Wanted to post this so it can get sorted in the queue.

Gah, I forgot about this and just lost my edits to a posted article.

ping

I am reading these words and I have no idea what they mean. Can you provide a step by step example? I am a simple man and I need clear, simple explanations. :wink:

2 Likes

tl;dr please put a native editor (or even the new composer) in approvals

Repro:

1. user posts to a forum, the post is moderated
  2. admin edits spelling, grammar, fixes a broken url
  3. admin wants to add or replace an image , and drops in the new image, as we expect discourse to support
  4. rather than the image being uploaded to discourse & a placeholder put in the post, the browser just goes to the file:// url.
  5. admin hesitantly clicks “back” to see what just happened
  6. approval page reloads, all edits were lost
1 Like

Oh you want a full blown real editor there.

1 Like

The ability to resize the edit box would be important as well… currently I have 1.5 inches or so, regardless of how long the post is.

Approve the post then edit it in the real editor. Unless the image is something unspeakable I can’t imagine that being a problem.

once the post is approved, it’s emailed out right away.

If I get Yes on this request, that’s great, if it’s not going to happen, I’ll just start copying the post, out to a new, blank topic, edit as needed, then paste the result back.

It’s twice now that I forgot the image limitation though, and lost time/work. The full editor would prevent all the workarounds.

Perhaps that’s what should be altered.

AFAIK there is a default 5 minute delay between when the post is created and when it gets cosidered for being included in emails.

If that could be changed from creation time to approval time would that help you?

1 Like

Am I hearing that putting the normal composer in the approvals area is a hard or wrong choice?

I was suggesting that because the “clock starts” when the post is created, and as soon as a queued post is approved the email gets sent, there may be a way to delay the sending of the email.

Not ideal perhaps, but it might be easier to do that than to code in the composer.

My question “would that help you?” was to help get a rough idea as to cost <-> benefit

For example, if an easy fix solves most of a problem, it might be better than a difficult fix that solves all of the problem

Yes, there’s a ninja edit window, I don’t know what it is, but I’m sure I can’t fix posts in that timeframe, nor do I want the risk of missing the window.

I’m not sure what would be simpler than being able to edit a post using the same conveniences offered in the normal composer, or even the composer we used to have in the admin -> customize welcome email text area.

Beyond that, I’ll just do the simple edits (which most are) in the view we have now, and keep copying & pasting more complex posts into a new topic, which I throw away after re-pasting back into the to-be-approved post.

It’s only when I forget about how drag & dropping an image will cause me to loose any work that I really feel the need to come here & see if it would be possible to improve the overall experience by adding the composer I’ve been spoiled with in normal discourse use.

Why settle for continuing your work-around? My current skill level isn’t up to the task (it doesn’t seem simple to me) but I’m willing to bet if you submitted a PR there’s a good chance it would be accepted.

Yeah, I don’t know how to code it either. I post ideas I have here, they eventually get added.