Ask a user to revise their post before approving it?

I have a created a moderated category where every user post has to be approved by a moderator. When a user submits a post, I as moderator see the option to accept, reject, and edit. (This is with a near vanilla recent install of Discourse).

For my use case, I need an additional option: “request revisions” - so that the user may make revisions to their proposed post so that it can be approved afterwards.

Is this something Discourse supports out of the box, or is there perhaps a plugin that would support this use case?

3 Likes

The lack of replies seems to indicate that this is not possible.

I tried editing the post as moderator while keeping it in the pending state, hoping that the submitter would see the edit. However, when I impersonate the submitter, there doesn’t seem to be any way for them to see a pending post they submitted. Is this correct?

1 Like

You are correct on both counts. Could you give us a better understanding of your use case? We might be able to suggest workarounds.

1 Like

I have encountered this difficulty too. Could we make it a #feature request?

The use case is a post which the author has put some time and effort into, but which needs a bigger edit than what the moderator is comfortable doing.

Also, I believe that it would promote positive engagement and better posting habits if we can have a constructive dialogue with the potential poster.

4 Likes

I’ve been using Discourse as a replacement for Piazza in a CS course. As part of students’ participation grade, I’d like for them to create a topic (or contribute to a topic) in a way that meets certain standards of quality. That’s why I moderate those specific posts: if it meets the standard of quality I set, I’ll approve it. If it doesn’t, however, I don’t just want to reject it - I’d like to point out what I feel is missing or could be improved before approving it.

5 Likes

This seems similar to this long-standing request:

4 Likes

So you want to be able to notify the user to edit their post while it remains in the Under Review state without rejecting it? Then you can review it a 2nd time before approving it?

3 Likes

Yes. BTW, it wouldn’t require support for a separate thread capturing this exchange - it would be ok for my use case if the poster saw the edits I made and had the change to make edits on their part while the post is in the pending state.

3 Likes

On that topic, I found that I am unable to tell if a pending post is a reply to an existing topic or a new topic in the moderated category.

This is very confusing. I want to reject duplicate posts that attempt to start a new topic while a previous topic about the same issue hasn’t been replied to.

2 Likes

Did any of our recent work by Loic help here @sam?

2 Likes

I don’t think so, we really only did some extremely minimal changes here.

I think we should try living with the feature for a few hours (on the both ends of the stick) to experience it.

I moderate a site and it is often find it very hard to tell context as a moderator from the review queue. As an end user when you are shunted to the review queue it is a bit alarming and surprising.

2 Likes

This has now been implemented. :partying_face:

You now have the extra option to 'Revise Post` alongside the existing ‘Approve’ and ‘Reject’ options:

This will open up a modal where you can provide feedback:

And this will send a PM to the user:

4 Likes