Adding a whole new Emoji set?

I just came across an awesome African emoji set and would like to adopt it wholly to replace equivalent emoji from the apple emoji set I am using now (the discourse default). I am not entirely clear on how best to do this. Ideally I’d match the filenames with the 4 standard versions and upload that in a folder, equivalent to the 4 standard ones provided that all apparently also have matching filenames so you can switch between them and still have emoji work. The filenames for the African emoji set are completely different now though there will be matches for the standard versions, and this would be a fun contribution to make.

Suggestions?

https://forum.kabissa.org/t/thanks-to-oju-africa-african-emoji-now-available-on-kabissa/3270

If they are all prefixed with “oju_” maybe @cpradio can be of some help.

All of mine are added via plugin (I think you can override existing names, but I haven’t tried)

What would be better to investigate is how to integrate it into the emoji selector @sam setup (I think it was @sam). Especially if you want it to appear in the emoji button in the composer window.

I don’t think we have done that yet but adding a way for plugins to add a new value to the EmojiSetSiteSetting is pretty much all that’s needed. Then you would need to put all the emoji files in the /images/emoji/<name>/ directory. And voilà.

2 Likes

I am planning to add the Windows 10 emoji set as a “full set” (alongside Emoji One, Twitter, Android, iOS, etc) once it’s available later in August:

They’re super nice IMO!

7 Likes

sweet! I like this emoji set alot and look forward to adding it to my sites.

Did you hear back about the copyright for it?

Also does anyone else get a Zookeeper vibe?

2 Likes

I contacted people at MSFT and they will get back to me. Since we are only distributing pngs of 72x72 and not vectors or fonts we might be ok.

1 Like

Good news! We have official permission to include the updated Windows 10 anniversary Emojis as 72x72 gif sets, from Shelley Bjornstad at Microsoft. So Discourse 1.7 should be able to have a “Windows” entry in its emoji selector with more emoji goodness.

Sincere thanks to @jonathansampson for connecting us with the right folks and herding this along. Well done sir :tada:

9 Likes