Adding terms of use

Hm, what is the point of having some people accept your ToS but not others? Of course, it’s an edge case in the sense that you will rarely have a legal case where someone claims they never accepted your TOS, but if the aim of mentioning the TOS on the sign-up page is to reduce the likelihood of trouble, then I can’t see why it should be so extraordinary to do the same on the accept invite page.

Even if we ignore the TOS, the problem remains with the custom user fields that are required at sign-up. If a site-admin requires certain user fields to be filled in, it’s probably because they want to make sure they’re filled in by every user. Unfortunately discourse doesn’t work like that. But why?

If you find Discourse unsuitable for your purposes, I suggest using some other free software that may be more suitable to your purposes.

If you’d like to become a customer to support feature development of this and other things, please visit https://discourse.org/buy and sign up.

1 Like

I don’t recall saying anything about my purposes or that I find discourse unsuitable.

If, by that, you mean “Your point is valid but fixing this is just not a priority at the moment because no paying customer is asking for it”, fair enough.

1 Like

It’s happening! :tada:

5 Likes

This might make you even more happy. :sunny:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/b9c94aa234fb6198a163ca2e990a3e0b209fbf90

6 Likes

Indeed, but before I upgrade, can I just ask whether “make ‘accept invitation’ page consistent with sign up modal” is to be understood literally, i.e. the accept invite screen now shows all the user fields that are shown on the sign up modal, or just the required ones?

Invite page will now show all user fields. Here is a demo screenshot:

8 Likes

As I was looking myself into it: I think it is of interest that the user (no matter if invited or self-signup) can actually read the terms before agreeing to them.

To do so a simply link can be added to the userfield.
I agree to the <a href="/tos" target="_blank">Terms of Service</a> and will adhere to them unconditionally.