Adding users to groups by their email addresses

Hi team,

I need an easy way to add users to groups based on their email address. It takes a lot of my time having to search the member list for the person’s
user name.

Is this feature on your radar? I could really use this.

Thanks,
Tom

Users who are invited via email can be assigned to a group automatically in the invite link.

If all of these user come from same domain @example.com that can be configured in the group setting to assign anyone signing up with that domain’s email will be added to group.

2 Likes

You can add users to a group based on their email address by clicking the group’s Bulk Add to Group button:

This will open a form that accepts a list of user’s email addresses or usernames. If you don’t already have a list of emails or usernames, you can use a Data Explorer query that returns a single column (either username or email address) and copy and paste the query’s result directly into the Bulk Add to Group form.

4 Likes

Perfect. I overlooked the bulk as an option.

Thanks

Just noting for others who might be confused that the Bulk Add button doesn’t seem to be there anymore, but the Add Members dialog takes a comma-delimited list.

The problem is that I was assuming that email addresses that were not in the database already would be ignored, as per

https://meta.discourse.org/t/bulk-add-to-group/34979/10?u=adamengst

Unfortunately, that’s no longer true, and Discourse sends an invitation. That might seem like the right thing to do, but since lots of people have multiple addresses, I ran into numerous situations where people did already have users in Discourse, but under different addresses. So they got an email invite, which I then felt that I should cancel, so they didn’t accidentally end up setting up another account.

It would be very helpful if Discourse could indicate when you paste the addresses into the Add Members dialog, which are recognized as matching a user and which don’t match, either because the user isn’t in the system yet, or is with a different address.

2 Likes