Advertise activity in a private category (discourse-category-lockdown)

yes, that is correct, because:

1 Like

Right-this is the expected behavior, but it (this plugin) doesn’t work as expected when the category is set for everyone to see, as in the screenshot.

1 Like

What are the entry restrictions for the current_member group?

I have a forum running both plugins, it worked fine with a private group last time I checked

2 Likes

Gah! :man_facepalming: I was missing the obvious and didn’t have this checked at the bottom of the category settings:

All is well!

2 Likes

The subscriptions plugin should already be doing that. Its tightly integrated with discourse groups which is tightly integrated with category security settings. :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve been looking for a plugin that does almost exactly this (and didn’t realize it existed!). Can you clarify what this statement means though? Just that the thread will be indexed in Google?

If a user not in the group or a user who isn’t logged in navigates to the thread, they will always go to the payment gateway (or whatever link), right?

1 Like

Yes, but the topic entry and some bits and pieces of the content appear in the search results. If that’s ok for you, then that’s it.

Recently, I added a feature to allow category specific redirects.

If you want something more comprehensive, you can look at Discourse Subscriptions

2 Likes

This seems more ideal for my use than Discourse subscriptions because I’m using WordPress and SSO for the membership. I will give it a try.

1 Like

Very easy to configure and I think I have it working properly.

Random question, is it possible to inject a custom icon? i.e. a site logo to use as the icon instead of the font awesome icons? I currently only have it as a png

1 Like

It’s something you can do with some css, I made something similar, but I didn’t keep the code.

If I remember correctly, you need two steps: hiding the custom icon, I used the star icon in my custom theme, then add the custom image before the title

.topic-list .category-idofyourcategory {
    .topic-status .d-icon-star {
        display: none;
    }
    .title::before {
        content: url("/your_image.png");
    }
}

I didn’t reproduce it, so you might need to adjust a few things, but it should give you some direction

3 Likes