Photos posted on Discourse don't match the same colors as photos posted elsewhere

Hello!

I’m a Food Talk Central and Hungry Onion member, both hosted by Discourse. After every automatic iPhone upgrade the photos I post are dull and the color is off. They look sharp in my photo album but upload poorly. It only happens on the 2 sites I use hosted by Discourse. Is there a compatibility issue?

Asking @discobot to help on the actual site did nothing, btw.

Thanks!

5 Likes

Could you share side by side screenshots illustrating the problem?

2 Likes

That’s the problem. I wish I could. Since they are both coming from my photo album they will look the same because the problem is when they upload. In my photo album the photo below is sharper, brighter and the color of the fries are more reddish orange from the spice powder. But when I upload it here it is duller, less defined and the color is off - just like on FTC & HO.

2 Likes

So if you screenshot a site with your uploaded image the colours are restored?

2 Likes

Only on Discourse & Discourse hosted sites. I just texted the same photo to myself and sent it to someone on IG to test and it looks exactly like the photo in my album.

1 Like

Can you upload the same photo elsewhere and link it to us in here? It can be on imgur, twitter, or anywhere else public you can.

5 Likes

Okay I will try that soon. Thanks!

1 Like

Okay I deleted and re-posted. Sorry, I’m not a big IG user. This photo is exactly how it looks in my photo album but won’t upload onto Discourse hosted sites anymore. See the difference from the photo I uploaded?

1 Like

Colors are definitely different. I wonder if that is because of png to jpg quality is set to 95 or if we are stripping some HDR color profile.

12 Likes

This picture on IG has no filter?

This works fine for me, I get the same picture on Instagram and when I upload on Discourse. Are you using filters or editing the posts through the apps you are uploading to other sites with?

4 Likes

Hi @Falco -

Sorry to be responding just now. Since I’m a new Discourse member I had maxed-out my replies for the day and was prompted to wait 10 hrs. I got too busy with work & life.

Anyway

This is beyond my tech knowledge but sounds logical. I’m wondering if someone already made the adjustment? Because I did another report on both IG & FTC this week and the photos seemed almost identical this time.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Hi @osioke - Except for changing the size I only edit & adjust my photos in my photo album. Yours do look exact. What camera phone do you use? Have you experienced an upgrade lately? This happens to me after automatic iPhone upgrades.

1 Like

I spoke too soon. Some of my uploaded photos on my sites hosted Discourse are still dull. :smirk: Is there something to be done about this “png to jpg quality is set to 95 or if we are stripping some HDR color profile.”?

1 Like

Having the same problem again. The photos in my photo album are bright and crisp but when I upload them to Food Talk Central and Hungry Onion (both hosted by Discourse) they are dull. Can anyone help me this time? This screenshot is from @falco on this thread 3 years ago. Could this be the same problem?

1 Like

TheCookie1 sent me a sample picture, and the results are a bit weird.

I got a picture of tomatoes. The picture compressed by Discourse appears “redder” (more saturated) than the original.

If I upload the image to Discord, the image on Discord also appears redder than the original.

But here’s the weird thing:

If I download both the Discourse and Discord pictures (that appear both redder in the browser) on my hard drive and open them both with Irfanview, only the picture downloaded from Discourse appears redder. The picture downloaded from Discord looks like the original BUT appears redder in the browser. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

In conclusion… I have absolutely no idea about what’s going on :grimacing:

(the original photo isn’t HDR by the way.

Original:

Recompressed by Discourse:

Uploaded on Discord: (I don’t know what Discord does with the uploads, but the final image is slightly lighter than the original)

3 Likes

That’s weird. The problem I’m having is when I upload photos onto Food Talk Central and Hungry Onion (both hosted by Discourse) the color is not darker it’s lighter than my original photo and very dull. This is only in the last few weeks.

1 Like

Adding @rlauriston from FTC to the conversation.

1 Like

Yeah, that surprised me as well. On my screen, the uploaded picture is more saturated, not less, which is contradictory to your post from 3 years ago. :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Hi @Canapin

It’s actually the same problem. The photos in my album are sharp with colors that pop. The colors in my uploaded photos are dull and not as sharp.

2 Likes

May I upload your pictures here?

1 Like