Faster (and smaller) uploads in Discourse with Rust, WebAssembly and MozJPEG | Blog

As of a few weeks ago, image uploads in Discourse are faster AND smaller thanks to a technique that compresses and optimizes the images clientside before they are uploaded. This blog post will describe how this feature works and how we implemented it in Discourse.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://blog.discourse.org/2021/07/faster-user-uploads-on-discourse-with-rust-webassembly-and-mozjpeg/
33 Likes

Amazing! :heart_eyes: This is an incredible improvement. Really great work. It’s so much more fun to upload and share photos in discussions now.

And an added benefit - people on slow connections are going to be able to upload a bunch of photos at a time now without the dreaded “Uploading…” appearing instead of the photo. :+1:

10 Likes

Nice improvement… and Happy Birthday, Rafael!

7 Likes

Super psyched to see Discourse playing more with the power of Rust! :crab: :muscle:

imageflow is another impressive Rust lib in this space.

I took the liberty of sharing the news here:

11 Likes

This is something I have on my site right now? Meaning y’all shipped this level of improved functionality out to everyone just because you want a better product?

Part of me knows that’s true. I’ve been around enough to know how y’all roll, but damn. Part of me feels like I missed the part where this is an advanced optimization play.

5 Likes

Yes and yes. :smiley:

4 Likes

Freakin’ radical, man.

Bill Murray Thank You GIF by filmeditor

5 Likes