After Installation Discourse is unable to send Verification email

Hi,

I have installed Discourse and after that i view following register page but email confirmation email not receiving. Even i have written email settings in app.xml also during discourse setup script. But No success i am getting.

Kindly help me install it in proper manner and let me know if any bug in the mail system.

Thanks

Hey @Hitesh_Dubey ! Welcome. Glad you’re getting going. Have you had a look at Troubleshooting email on a new Discourse install? That’s the go-to place for help with this issue. You can post here with things that you have done and what problem you’re having.

2 Likes

Hi,

Thanks for reply…

i have already tried link (Troubleshooting email on a new Discourse install

) and i have put my gmail credentials but email sending an issue in discourse.

Gmail isn’t a recommended option, did you try one of the recommended email providers?

discourse/INSTALL-email.md at main · discourse/discourse · GitHub

2 Likes

Hi,
Can we bypass this email verification ? If we don’t need it.

You can do that via ssh:

cd /var/discourse 
./launcher enter app
rake admin:create 

then follow the on screen instructions.

Hi If i want to use my Gmail account creds. like smtp.gmail.com with port 587 ? Is it possible?

NO. That’s not recommended for a bunch of reasons.

Theoretically, if you tried hard with a paid Google Workspace account, you could use google smtp but with a free account, it’ll definitely get you banned before you’d realize.

1 Like

Even paid Google accounts have fairly restrictive sending limits and a minimum spend until you get allowed to hit this limit:

https://support.google.com/a/answer/166852

2 Likes

Mailgun have a pay-as-you-grow plan with 5000 free emails a month for 3 months, and then you pay for however many you send ($0.80/1000). That seems like a reasonable starting point?

They also don’t bill for less than $1, so I believe you can send 1250/month and not be billed?

1 Like

i have signed up sendgrid and integrated in my discourse. But still i am unable to send .

Hi,

i have configured mailgun and written setting in app.xml, Mail Testing is working but when i m trying to signup but not receiving signup activation email.

Thanks

If you’re using eg. ‘admin@discourse.yoursite.com’ as your registration email you’ll need to set up an email account for it so it has an inbox (zohomail let you have one domain free in their Forever Free Plan). Or you could run set-up again with a different admin email (eg your personal one). You can swop that later once your forum is up.

(and the universal tip of checking your spam folder might apply here too :slightly_smiling_face:)

2 Likes