Not receiving admin sign up e-mail during installation

99% chance I have a case of the Big Dumb here, guys, but I’ve tried this so many times. I’ve recreated my droplet, tried all kinds of e-mails, blah blah. I’ve also read/tried these things:
https://meta.discourse.org/t/troubleshooting-email-on-a-new-discourse-install/16326/2

I’ve tried my gsuite, outlook, and now my regular personal gmail. The gmail settings, for example, are:

DISCOURSE_DEVELOPER_EMAILS: mygmail@gmail. com
DISCOURSE_SMTP_ADDRESS: smtp.gmail. com
DISCOURSE_SMTP_PORT: 587
DISCOURSE_SMTP_USER_NAME: mygmail@gmail. com
DISCOURSE_SMTP_PASSWORD: my password

I just never receive the e-mails and I’m checking junk/spam.

I’ve set up Discourse before, so I must be washed up.

Thanks, guys.

2 Likes

Try using something like mailgun to send emails instead of gmail.

Additionally, You can use ./discourse-doctor to be sure that gmail is causing the email failure.

Nb: the email would probably be failing because the sending email does not match the discourse notification email and hence rejected.

2 Likes

I’m not particularly interested in Mailgun in the long run. Is this something I could do for verification and then replace with gsuite later, or will my forum fail to send e-mails?

I did the test with the doctor thing and it says that SMTP connection was successful but sending failed.

What do you mean discourse notification e-mail?

Thanks!

1 Like

Check the very bottom of your app.yml file, there will be a commented line there. You can uncomment it and edit the part that says info@unconfigured.discourse.org and match it to your gsuite email address then rebuild.

I can’t guarantee it for a 100% to work right out of the box, You may have to look into the Gmail SMTP relay for further details about configuration.

2 Likes

I had a problem as well getting the mail working.

I uncommented the below setting and changed the true to false

DISCOURSE_SMTP_ENABLE_START_TLS: false # (optional, default true)

and then it worked.

2 Likes

@Heather_Lloyd did you come right ?

Why don’t you want to use a service like mailgun? It works immediately and is easy to set up, and basically free.

Google mail is fine for receiving email via pop3 (or now IMAP) mailbox. But sending email is generally better done through a dedicated bulk email provider like mailgun. Lots of topics here about that.

1 Like