Alien Night Theme - A free Dark Theme for Discourse

@here Keep in mind that the #4 post is not up to date anymore.

I’m using now a complete new method for the Theme Switcher. It’s nicely put in the Discourse Header now :slight_smile:

(hopefully it has no issues with other Discourse Header components)

Could you share that switch as a seperate theme component? I’m looking for this feature for months.

1 Like

Hey @Anatolia

I tried my best to make it happen :smiley:

Go here:

3 Likes

I added to our forum. Thank you so much :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

There is something wrong in the header when you open the hamburger menu:

A part of the menu moves to the top right and partially covers the buttons on the header

However great rework!

5 Likes

Back from vacation. Sorry for the delay!
I fixed it now :slight_smile: (legacy from my own sub theme header component)
Thanks for the report!

3 Likes

Thanks for the theme. I like how you have both dark and light colors in the same stylesheet. I don’t know any other theme that does that.

There are lot of hard coded colors, I was wondering if you have any plans for making those customizable using color variables and functions?

There are some colors that do not change between dark and light mode resulting in low contrast such as the tags. it would be great if we could overwrite all colors in the UI so they are customizable as well.

Also if some users decide on different color palette, it would be easier to adjust the unwanted color variations.

I am working on a fork of Alien Night and replaced all hard coded colors with variables so they could be organized and possibly derived from the color_schemes.

If you find it beneficial I could post the color list here or as an issue or pr to your repo.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, I see a large list of items whose colors are changed with the dark class, did you find the elements that needed a color change one by one or you used another strategy?

1 Like

Hey @ahmadabdolsaheb

thanks for your feedback - appreciated!

Right, for now they are hardcoded “by eye and taste” :wink:
Currently quite busy so can’t work on a customizable setup. I would like a Pull Request or whatever way you like to integrate it, so everyone can benefit from it.

2 Likes

Great theme!!!

@B-iggy

How can I get answers into container separately?

example

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for your feedback @AtakanYildirim1

I don’t know exactly what your request is though. Answers in a separate container?

1 Like

@B-iggy

This is my website answer style

Desired look style

1 Like

Ah I see. You want to have kind of “Google Material Design” boxed style.
I will play around with it and let you know, once I’m done with it. Currently busy with christmas work.
Thanks for the suggestion!

2 Likes

Oooh, this is a nice theme!

2 Likes

I’d appreciate it if you did. allowing this topic @B-iggy

2 Likes

Awesome!!! Really like this

2 Likes

What should I do to start light mode by default @B-iggy

2 Likes

I was gonna ask this too.

2 Likes

Well, since the purpose of this theme is to make it Dark, I didn’t think of an option to have it light as default :wink:
Maybe I can implement a theme setting for that, even if it’s strange to me.

1 Like

Alright, I have implemented your request. I like it myself that way, even though in the dark mode it’s not that visible that much due contrast.
Let me know your thoughts. In the light version it’s more noticeable.

Note: I went with the logic, that the topic owner does not have a material themed box, to highlight him within a conversation and make his topics like a “fundament”, if you know what I mean.
Let me know what you think about that as well please.

3 Likes